Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Joining the RFA?

A cracking start to the weekend... Had my interview 19th November and was playing the waiting game, postie clearly running late today as a provisional offer for Seaman Apprentice starting 29th April at HMS Raleigh dropped on the mat this afternoon!

Fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear.

A cracking start to the weekend... Had my interview 19th November and was playing the waiting game, postie clearly running late today as a provisional offer for Seaman Apprentice starting 29th April at HMS Raleigh dropped on the mat this afternoon!

Fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear.

Well done. Have yourself a beer tonight!

LG.

I am unsure if this is the correct place to post this. Please redirect me if so.

I am interested in applying for a Deck Cadetship with the RFA. I have done a fair bit of research, spoken to friends in the RN and through them spoke to current RFA employees too so I am sure it is something I would like to apply for.

Does anyone know if they are definitely recruiting for Deck Cadets currently? And will they be doing so for a while? Currently I am not ready to apply but I should be in a few months. I appreciate it is unlikely to get a definite answer here but I thought it was worth asking the question.

Also is there anyone with experience as applying as an older cadet? I'm not exactly 18 and fresh out of school but like to think that could be a positive.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Hi, I do not work in RFA recruitment, merely awaiting my BRNC place as a Logistics Officer. However a chap I sat AIB with is starting with me as a Deck Cadet. So I would assume they are currently recruiting. Your best option is to contact the RFA recruitment team direct. Please don't hesitate to forward any other questions.
Yorks2018

I am unsure if this is the correct place to post this. Please redirect me if so.

I am interested in applying for a Deck Cadetship with the RFA. I have done a fair bit of research, spoken to friends in the RN and through them spoke to current RFA employees too so I am sure it is something I would like to apply for.

Does anyone know if they are definitely recruiting for Deck Cadets currently? And will they be doing so for a while? Currently I am not ready to apply but I should be in a few months. I appreciate it is unlikely to get a definite answer here but I thought it was worth asking the question.

Also is there anyone with experience as applying as an older cadet? I'm not exactly 18 and fresh out of school but like to think that could be a positive.

When you say you are not ready to apply yet; are you aware of how lengthy the process is. It can take many months from application to interview so may be worth making a start now?

When you say you are not ready to apply yet; are you aware of how lengthy the process is. It can take many months from application to interview so may be worth making a start now?

I am aware it is a lengthy process yes, thank you for the advice though, current work/family commitments could prevent me giving an application full attention. I will make contact with recruiters sooner rather than later though.

I can't speak specifically for cadetships, but I'm now going through the pre-joining process for a marine app, and I'm "not exactly 18 and fresh out of school" either, (in fact I'd be embarrassed to reveal my age on here,) so I'm not sure that you need worry too much about your age.

Good evening cadetpotential,

The RFA are recruiting deck cadets and will be for the foreseeable future.
It is a 9 month or so application process so I would get an application sooner rather than later.
The most mature cadet we have had is 58, so no worries about age.
In the 90's you could only apply between age 16 and 21, but now the limit was lifted along time ago.

The recruiting process is dependant on when the term starts at the commercial college and the preceeding BRNC entry at Darmouth.

If you have any specific questions then send me a PM.

Regards

Hey,
Just thought I would post this incase anyone else wasn’t aware of the changes to the recruitment, I had my Recruit Test this morning and the RFA are now told their results on the day same as the RN as of last week, this was a nice surprise for me today

Last edited:
Re: Thinking of Joining RFA

I served on RFAs for 2 years, in an RN capacity.

It rocked. You can join up until 55 as far as I know, your best bet would be to join as a Systems Officer, it's basically the same as WE.

Benefits include, better cash, tax free salary if abroad, awesome scran (fillet steak on steak night!) Cheapest bar you'll ever find, single en suite cabins, more time off than the skipper's 8s.

Downsides include, no pension, lack of discipline from an RN point of view, possibility of being based at a fuelling jetty in Scotland for 3 months solid.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/royal-fleet-auxiliary/
why no pension? its age 99 now apparently

Ive applied to join the RFA as a communications apprentice , it says there is no upper age limit , im 53 but i did serve 5 years in the army , can anyone tell me if my age will be a hindrance or is there really no limit on age , thanks in advance

Ive applied to join the RFA as a communications apprentice , it says there is no upper age limit , im 53 but i did serve 5 years in the army , can anyone tell me if my age will be a hindrance or is there really no limit on age , thanks in advance
No limit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads