Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Joining the RFA?

Did you sort out your ENG-1 straight away? I've had my job offer but it says "you will be advised when to book an appointment and provided with a list" I've found the list and just about to phone, not sure if I should wait until told to do so? Thanks
I'm just going through trying to get my vaccs done ,been somewhat of a pain so far as my doctors aren't the most helpful and also trying to find my old Army docs, so will be heading off to Liverpool tropical medicine to get them done. I've sent off for the Discharge book and will hopefully be going for my ENG1 asap probably before the vaccs. Even if I fall at this late stage with the RFA you need an ENG1 to work at sea anyway.

Last edited:
I'm just going through trying to get my vaccs done ,been somewhat of a pain so far as my doctors aren't the most helpful and also trying to find my old Army docs, so will be heading off to Liverpool tropical medicine to get them done. I've sent off for the Discharge book and will hopefully be going for my ENG1 asap probably before the vaccs. Even if I fall at this late stage with the RFA you need an ENG1 to work at sea anyway.
Same with my doctor, went to check what vaccs I've had done, the reply was that it's expensive and could take a while! It's checking a computer, how difficult is that? September can't come soon enough

Hi Everyone, Having read my Joining instructions, it says under the “dress” section that “I will have already been issued with my uniform, and I should bring this with me” however I’ve not been issued with any uniform, I’ve Emailed the officer in charge of the course, days ago but haven’t received a reply.

Alright Canoe
You’re all done then? Did everyone get through? I take it you’re going on the Rosie who’s your mentor going to be? Sorry for all the questions!

On the course that just finished. We were definitely issued uniform on the first day down at Raleigh.

I think maybe you've gotten joining instructions with the wrong bit copied and pasted in on the uniform section.

Raleigh is shut for Easter at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a reply until the 16th. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Nice one, thanks for letting me know, explains why I didn’t get an email back last week.

Also, how long are you having to wait from training at Raleigh, to joining your first ship?

Thanks in advance.

About a month, with a two day course we did in Portsmouth right after finishing at Raleigh (PSSR - how to lift a box, not bang doors, first aid etc)... and we've got a five day course to do at Portsmouth next week, (BSSC - basic sea survival course, firefighting, sinking ship simulator etc), before joining a ship at the end of the month.

Any more questions, ask away. I'm at a loose end for a couple of days.

Hi canoe, so if those courses are after basic training what's involved in the actual training? Theory theory and more theory??

The courses after Raleigh are the MCA requirements that all seafarers have to do on a regular basis under the STWC95 regs. The course at Raleigh is all about your specific role in the RFA. In this case seamanship. This is a mixture of theory and practical.

Same with my doctor, went to check what vaccs I've had done, the reply was that it's expensive and could take a while! It's checking a computer, how difficult is that? September can't come soon enough

I got my SC through within 9 days that was weeks back, got my discharge book and I passed my ENG1 today so just the vaccinations and minor brushing up here and there and hopefully all will be good for a start.,

Latest Threads