Joining the RFA?

Seadog

War Hero
Hi, can anyone tell me how long the discharge book takes to arrive after sending off the application? I should have everything else checked off by mid August. Sent my application to MCA Friday just gone.
Thanks
Recent revalidation of Certificate of Competency took 3 weeks if that’s any indication. The MCA website speaks of application tracking. Probably not as detailed or step by step as the thrusters on these pages may like.

Rozz

Midshipman
It’s my first book, I’m not in a huge rush for it. I’ve until October to get everything in so plenty of time still. I’ll have a look at the website. Thank you for your reply.

Does anyone have an opinion about if getting help from an MP to waiver the residency requirements would work? I'm an Aussie (strangely enough living in France) with no grandparents from the UK or Ireland. I do know some people living in the UK including several former commissioned officers.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone have an opinion about if getting help from an MP to waiver the residency requirements would work? I'm an Aussie (strangely enough living in France) with no grandparents from the UK or Ireland. I do know some people living in the UK including several former commissioned officers.
Whilst I have always believed that if you dont ask you dont get, I am not sure how much interest you would get (especially given how distracted the MPs are at the moment).

Some members of the RFA are resident overseas, so there maybe some room to maneuver (however pay/taxes remain in the UK and the RFA does not pay to get you to/from your home country). It is the nationality / security clearance requirements which will be seen as more important, do you meet those?

Have you spoken to the RFA direct about your circumstances? if so what was their opinion?

FWIW I made it as far as the interview with no residency, just UK citizenship/passport.

AceRimmer

Evening all,

I've been given a provisional offer to start at BRNC 8th Feb 2020 as ME Cadet - recently done AIB/Sift/RT if anyone needs advice etc I can let you know about my experience. It was tough but well worth it. Good luck to anyone who's in the process!

I have my sift on the 5th of November for deck officer cadet. I'm fairly happy with all the normal interview questions such as where I've worked as part of a team, etc. Information related to the RFA seems to be somewhat sparse so it would be appreciated if anybody could give me a more detailed run down of the question set so that I can narrow my research to be more relevant. Also, are the fitness requirements for the AIB for RFA the same as the royal navy? I'm fit enough already but some clarity on the issue would be nice.

Random

Lantern Swinger
I have my sift on the 5th of November for deck officer cadet. I'm fairly happy with all the normal interview questions such as where I've worked as part of a team, etc. Information related to the RFA seems to be somewhat sparse so it would be appreciated if anybody could give me a more detailed run down of the question set so that I can narrow my research to be more relevant. Also, are the fitness requirements for the AIB for RFA the same as the royal navy? I'm fit enough already but some clarity on the issue would be nice.
Pretty much all the advice you need for the sift are hidden on these forums. Service knowledge is useful, know the ships, their roles and your prospective part in them. Learn what a Sponsored Reservist is, you will be obliged to sign a contract to be one if you get offered a contract at the end of your cadetship.

As to the AIB, you are expected to do your best there (no matter what your fitness ability). It is the same format as the RN, just the scoring of the activities might be slightly different. The fitness the RN need for going there is also the minimum needed to take part in the activities at Dartmouth, so it is not a bad starting place to get yourself to!

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
There’s quite a lot of information out there... there’s been a very recent release of a whole series of videos about training and career pathways in the RFA. Google is your friend.

SeaBiscuit

Does anyone know if there's any flexibility for the academic quals for Systems Officer Cadet? I have 10 GCSEs at C+ and am a principal systems engineer in industry, but don't have any A-levels. Do they consider experience as a systems engineer or is it a straight yat/nay without A-levels?

Random

Lantern Swinger
The problem seems to lie with that the ETO Cadetship doesn't just give you an ETO Certificate of Competency it also gives you a Foundation Degree and is designed around recent school leavers. ie it expects you to have no prior experience except that of academics.

At the moment if you wish to get on the SE Cadetship I cannot see a way around having A-Levels (or similar/better qualifications).

Luckily you do not have to go and sit the class room component to sit these exams (just pay the fee and turn up) and so if you are reasonably confident after a little swatting up, it might be worth sitting them.

For us who have been working as SEs for a while and now require our ETOs, we still have to prove our academic background and if it is not sufficient we will have to do the theory courses to make up. It is not just you guys considering the Cadet end which are having to hit the books and go back to school to get this CoC.

Basically the bar has risen recently for people to work electrically at sea, as much as its going to cause me pain, I cannot say it is a bad thing.

SeaBiscuit

The problem seems to lie with that the ETO Cadetship doesn't just give you an ETO Certificate of Competency it also gives you a Foundation Degree and is designed around recent school leavers. ie it expects you to have no prior experience except that of academics.

At the moment if you wish to get on the SE Cadetship I cannot see a way around having A-Levels (or similar/better qualifications).

Luckily you do not have to go and sit the class room component to sit these exams (just pay the fee and turn up) and so if you are reasonably confident after a little swatting up, it might be worth sitting them.

For us who have been working as SEs for a while and now require our ETOs, we still have to prove our academic background and if it is not sufficient we will have to do the theory courses to make up. It is not just you guys considering the Cadet end which are having to hit the books and go back to school to get this CoC.

Basically the bar has risen recently for people to work electrically at sea, as much as its going to cause me pain, I cannot say it is a bad thing.
I quite agree that proving one's academics is vital, but in my case my career path has led me to being the guy in industry that designs the kit used on both RN and RFA vessels- from control room consoles to integrated systems architecture, with 20 years experience but no A-levels... it's likely you're maintaining a system I helped design. I guess I can just see what they think. It's be a pay cut of 50% and hard work but sitting behind a desk is driving me bonkers :)

Seadog

War Hero
‘Somewhat sparse’? WTAF?

There are 45 pages in this RFA thread alone. Plug ‘RFA’ into the site search engine and once you filter out ‘waRFAre’ you’ll have every RFA question asked and answered.

Knob.