Joining the RFA?

I wasn't aware that was the case. The Canadian Armed Forces does not reimburse, and the aircrew medical takes quite a bit longer than 20 minutes. That's good to know, though, so thanks.

anotherandrew

Midshipman
I got a provisional offer for Comms Apprentice , unbelievably happy !!
Congratulations!

Get started on the to-do list they sent, especially the vaccinations and SC once you get the link e-mailed through. Keep recruitment updated on your progress from time to time, you don't need to wait until they're all ticked off.

So I had my SIFT Interview last Thursday - I haven't heard anything yet but I know that I made a mess of it - Will I be able to apply for something else in the RFA or Navy? Or is it a one time go?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Depends how much you want it! I know guys who got into the RFA on the third go. Make sure you get feedback from the interview. Ask what your strengths and weaknesses were and obviously work on the areas that need improvement. They’ll tell you how long you’ll have to wait before you can reapply. I would imagine if you know you’ve done poorly, you’ll know where that was.
Take it on the chin and try again.
Good luck

Sent off my application today for the Deck Officer Cadetship and really hoping to get in, but I'm worried because I don't really have any relevant experience as far as I'm aware.

I have good GCSEs and A-Levels and a good degree, but nothing in a relevant topic. All of my skills (I speak three languages fluently, and a further three or four if you count Galician to intermediate level) seem completely irrelevant. I've done some leadership stuff before, but I'm worried it won't be enough as the way the application form is set out it barely even shows :( does anyone have any advice on my chances? I'm usually a fast learner and I'm really, really eager to get this so I will work really hard but I'm still worried I will be outclassed by those with more relevant qualifications and experience.

Another question: does anyone know if they automatically call you for the RT if you're eligible? Or do they only call those with the best applications?

Random

Lantern Swinger
Prior experience is not needed, our training will give you what you need.

What we are after is potential, we want to see that the people we hire will use that training successfully.

There are lots of ways to show that potential :)

I would strongly suggest a thorough read of these forums, you are not the first in the boat to feel nerves. Include a read of the RN new intake stuff as well, the process is similar enough for there to be good info in there too!

WreckerL

War Hero
Sent off my application today for the Deck Officer Cadetship and really hoping to get in, but I'm worried because I don't really have any relevant experience as far as I'm aware.

I have good GCSEs and A-Levels and a good degree, but nothing in a relevant topic. All of my skills (I speak three languages fluently, and a further three or four if you count Galician to intermediate level) seem completely irrelevant. I've done some leadership stuff before, but I'm worried it won't be enough as the way the application form is set out it barely even shows :( does anyone have any advice on my chances? I'm usually a fast learner and I'm really, really eager to get this so I will work really hard but I'm still worried I will be outclassed by those with more relevant qualifications and experience.

Another question: does anyone know if they automatically call you for the RT if you're eligible? Or do they only call those with the best applications?
If successful you'll be very popular on any ship you're on when it goes foreign.

Prior experience is not needed, our training will give you what you need.

What we are after is potential, we want to see that the people we hire will use that training successfully.

There are lots of ways to show that potential :)

I would strongly suggest a thorough read of these forums, you are not the first in the boat to feel nerves. Include a read of the RN new intake stuff as well, the process is similar enough for there to be good info in there too!
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start reading through everything I can now, and hope I hear something back soon :)

Geordie90

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start reading through everything I can now, and hope I hear something back soon :)
Just be prepared to wait, I don't know what it's like for the cadetship but as an apprentice I applied last August and my start date is this September.

citroensm

Midshipman
I think that a big factor is when you apply in relation to when the SIFT panel meet. I was interviewed last October and arrived at Sultan 4th of March, so fairly quick in my case.

LG.

Not sure mate, I could be the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully it will be a lot quicker for you.
I hope so too!

I think that a big factor is when you apply in relation to when the SIFT panel meet. I was interviewed last October and arrived at Sultan 4th of March, so fairly quick in my case.

LG.
Do you have any idea when they meet?

Just got a message asking for me to upload some documents, so now I know my application is at least beginning to be processed. Realised when I uploaded them that I'd completely forgotten I have a GCSE in stats so didn't list it on the form, but it's on the same certificate as my others so I hope they don't mind the discrepancy there!

Rozz

Midshipman
Hi, can anyone tell me how long the discharge book takes to arrive after sending off the application? I should have everything else checked off by mid August. Sent my application to MCA Friday just gone.
Thanks