Joining the RFA?

Grenadier

Midshipman
Ive applied to join the RFA as a communications apprentice , it says there is no upper age limit , im 53 but i did serve 5 years in the army , can anyone tell me if my age will be a hindrance or is there really no limit on age , thanks in advance

seajudged

Badgeman
Ive applied to join the RFA as a communications apprentice , it says there is no upper age limit , im 53 but i did serve 5 years in the army , can anyone tell me if my age will be a hindrance or is there really no limit on age , thanks in advance
No limit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grenadier

Midshipman
Just wondering what the pay is for a Comms rating once the apprenticeship is finished? I'd like to stress that money isnt the reason I'm applying , I'd just like to make sure I would have enough to cover my outgoings.

Do RFA ships have chaplains on board? I'm not a bible basher by any means but I am on that end of the religious spectrum so it would probably be a real benefit to me.

I have tried searching across the site for information on this but it has proved elusive - please point me in the right direction if this has been covered somewhere else.

Seadog

War Hero
Do RFA ships have chaplains on board?
Only when there is a Chaplin on board. That is, there’s not usually one ( nor is there one on every RN war canoe ) but when the shooting is imminent, a lot more people get religion and a Chaplin will deploy. He (she) may have more than one ship’s company to look after.

Similarly, if a jolly is imminent, a Bish may find a pressing reason to come along.

Do RFA ships have chaplains on board? I'm not a bible basher by any means but I am on that end of the religious spectrum so it would probably be a real benefit to me.

I have tried searching across the site for information on this but it has proved elusive - please point me in the right direction if this has been covered somewhere else.
Cadetpotential,
There are a few of us around. Previously there was the Naval Christian fellowship but there are other Christian elements such as the Armed Forces christian Union.

We only have 1 RFA chaplain who visits ships, and you might find the odd person on a ship.

send me a message if you want any help.

regards

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
Cadetpotential,
There are a few of us around. Previously there was the Naval Christian fellowship but there are other Christian elements such as the Armed Forces christian Union.

We only have 1 RFA chaplain who visits ships, and you might find the odd person on a ship.

regards
Used to find lots of 'Odd Persons' on RFA's, they would dress up in their short skirts, stockings and spenders and come and wave at the lads during a RAS.

Seadog

War Hero
Used to find lots of 'Odd Persons' on RFA's, they would dress up in their short skirts, stockings and spenders and come and wave at the lads during a RAS.
Probably not the expert sailors and engineers operating the RAS rigs. Perhaps the Royal Marines detachment who never go anywhere without women’s underwear nor miss an opportunity to wear it.

Grenadier

Midshipman
I've got my psychometric test soon , I appreciate that I should try to do well on all of them but can anyone advise which ones are important for comms apprentice ? I would have thought verbal ability and numeracy ? Thanks in advance.

mediq

Hi, I do not work in RFA recruitment, merely awaiting my BRNC place as a Logistics Officer. However a chap I sat AIB with is starting with me as a Deck Cadet. So I would assume they are currently recruiting. Your best option is to contact the RFA recruitment team direct. Please don't hesitate to forward any other questions.
Yorks2018
hi there, can you please help with a bit of information on how your sift was. I am hoping you can shed more light on the sift questions thanks

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Would anyone know if an aircrew medical (Canadian factor 2) could be treated like an equivalent to the ENG1 marine medical?
The ENG1 is an international seafarers medical. There is no alternative medical standard accepted by the RFA. I would however imagine, having done a few ENG’s, that if you can pass an aircrew medical you’ll fly through an ENG!