Joining the RFA?

Rang up today over something unrelated (just my online portal playing up) and was told that I passed 'particularly well'. Buzzing with that.

Now apparently got to wait until October for an independent person to decide who gets invited to interview.

Hoping and praying.

Rang up today over something unrelated (just my online portal playing up) and was told that I passed 'particularly well'. Buzzing with that.

Now apparently got to wait until October for an independent person to decide who gets invited to interview.

Hoping and praying.
Fantastic news! Well done! With a particularly good pass I’d be more certain about the interview than not (obviously it’s not certain), but good luck

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
It’s predominantly from your Application. A pass is a pass for your RT. Your additional info you’ve submitted, reasons for choosing particular department, any previous work experience that can relate to RFA. Not necessarily sea experience but teamwork jobs, working to deadlines. Any voluntary work, involvement with cadets either as one or a volunteer. It’s a whole picture of your work experience up to now. Or if your nipper what have you done that sets you apart from other 18-20 yr olds.
Good luck

Hoping and praying.
Congrats!

Also passed and told I need to wait until October to await the outcome of the independent panel.

I'm very much trying to take each stage as it comes and not trying to runaway with myself, although that can sometimes be easier said than done! :)

Good luck.

Hello to everyone. I am hoping to join the RFA. My exam is on the 17th of October 2018, and I have a few questions with regards to my exam and the RFA in general. Can anyone help, please?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
This forum has a huge amount of info, advice, tips, etc. But regulars on here are fed up repeating stuff!
Use the search function top right of this page. It is really good and will take you to pages and pages of info. Just use keywords or phrases.
Once you’ve trawled that come back and ask if you haven’t the answer.
Good luck

Hello to everyone. I am hoping to join the RFA. My exam is on the 17th of October 2018, and I have a few questions with regards to my exam and the RFA in general. Can anyone help, please?
As @Klanky67 has said, I'm sure any questions you've got have been asked before so try a search.

In the meantime I've hopefully answered some of these on the other thread you started.

Hello,

I note from your twitter profile that you "want to serve your country". Why the RFA and not for example the Army Reserves?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi . Had a look for this but can't seem to find it. Can anyone please send me a link to, or simply tell me exactly what the RFA NCO rank structure looks like from the lowest seaman up to about PO?

Cheers, LG.

Hi and thanks. So is that the same for all branches? App, seaman2, seaman1, leading hand, PO?

And, given "average" ability, (if there is such a thing,) what could be considered as a reasonable rate of climb up the ladder?

I ask because I have an interview next week and I could be asked "where could I see myself in 5/10 years time?" (The interview is for enginering app.)

Cheers, LG.

Hi,

From what I can see and I believe it to be the same if not, then similar within the Engineering Dept.

As for the rate of climb, that I don't know, although if I was to go out on a limb I think a reasonable answer to 'Within 10 years time' would be a Leading Handing. But I could possibly be way off with that and hopefully someone currently serving or with greater knowledge can confirm for you.

Good luck with the interview!

Last edited:

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Not all branches have all the rates. Some start at LH level, such as supply chain or communications, I think.

The different grades of seaman are for deck only.

The engineering equivalent is motorman.

Not sure what rate medical technician is equivalent to, I don't believe they have a comparable rank structure.

Hi and thanks. So it would go engineering app, motorman2, motorman1, LH, PO then? The information they send out isn't exactly clear.

Also, with their relatively small crew, how many "messes" are there on RFA ships? The wardroom/senior rates/junior rates?

Thanks again, LG.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G RFA 3
O RFA 47
J RFA 20