Joining the RFA?

Styopa

Hi all! I first applied to the RFA as a Logistics Supply Officer back in May, have now just received a date for my psychometric test in 3 weeks time (it was all slowed down with some problems with documentation).

I have a question, about the fitness element. I've seen lots of people saying that there is no required fitness needed for the RFA except getting the ENG1 medical certificate. However, I've also heard people talk about how RFA recruits at the AIB have to complete bleep tests, do timed runs and swims etc. Could anyone clarify what's actually involved for the RFA fitness wise? Cheers.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Could anyone clarify what's actually involved for the RFA fitness wise? Cheers.
The AIB follows the same format as the Royal Navy, hence it has a physical component.

If you are offered a job with the RFA the only fitness requirement (at the moment) is to be able to obtain and keep an ENG1.

This does not mean that you will not be asked to do hard physical activities; it just means that being fitter than ENG1 is not a condition of employment.

Seadog

War Hero
However, I've also heard people talk about how RFA recruits at the AIB have to complete bleep tests, do timed runs and swims etc.

Not part of the AIB unless you are very small and you fall in one of the water obstacles but come the statutory sea survival qualification, swimming of a sort is required.

CreativeOfficer

Midshipman
Having done an AIB 3 weeks ago thats where the only fitness component comes into the RFA recruitment process other than an ENG 1 and that’s only for officer cadets. Also when attending Dartmouth it’s best to be able to reach the times that the RN expects, that’s what the Cmndr said at the AIB anyway

Styopa

Having done an AIB 3 weeks ago thats where the only fitness component comes into the RFA recruitment process other than an ENG 1 and that’s only for officer cadets. Also when attending Dartmouth it’s best to be able to reach the times that the RN expects, that’s what the Cmndr said at the AIB anyway
Nice one, how did it go?

Belfast1882

Midshipman
21 years old and fed up with working in the car showroom that I'm currently in. Applied for the RFA about a month ago as a Communications apprentice. Got good A Levels and GCSE's so hopefully that helps me... though absolutely no experience at sea (apart from messing about on my mates dinghy... does that count?).

Unfortunately got extremely mild asthma (played football 5x a week for 5 years and now go to the gym 5 times a week - never use my blue inhaler though did occasionally before turning 18). Spoke to an MCA doctor re: ENG1 and explained my situation, history, current medication etc - thankfully the bloke said I'd be fine. After being knocked back from the Armed Forces (dream was always to be a fighter pilot!) I think the RFA would be somewhere I could thrive in, and the experience of travelling the world and developing myself is something I really want to get into.

Anyway - pyschometric test at Palace Barracks next Wednesday. Think I've prepared well for it, done a number of online tests getting 90%+ in reasoning, maths and English but only getting 70% ish in mechanical - does anyone know the pass mark? Or is it a case of taking the highest scorers on to next stage.

Excited to progress my application and fingers (toes/legs/arms/everything) crossed I can make the grade.

CreativeOfficer

Midshipman
21 years old and fed up with working in the car showroom that I'm currently in. Applied for the RFA about a month ago as a Communications apprentice. Got good A Levels and GCSE's so hopefully that helps me... though absolutely no experience at sea (apart from messing about on my mates dinghy... does that count?).

Unfortunately got extremely mild asthma (played football 5x a week for 5 years and now go to the gym 5 times a week - never use my blue inhaler though did occasionally before turning 18). Spoke to an MCA doctor re: ENG1 and explained my situation, history, current medication etc - thankfully the bloke said I'd be fine. After being knocked back from the Armed Forces (dream was always to be a fighter pilot!) I think the RFA would be somewhere I could thrive in, and the experience of travelling the world and developing myself is something I really want to get into.

Anyway - pyschometric test at Palace Barracks next Wednesday. Think I've prepared well for it, done a number of online tests getting 90%+ in reasoning, maths and English but only getting 70% ish in mechanical - does anyone know the pass mark? Or is it a case of taking the highest scorers on to next stage.

Excited to progress my application and fingers (toes/legs/arms/everything) crossed I can make the grade.

The pass mark isn’t published, with those scores should be fine. Thing to do is practise the questions in the Royal Navy booklet, that helped me a lot and do it to the time limit it says in that booklet for a realistic feeling to the pace. With mechanical look at gcse and A level physics modules that are relevant and with the maths if you want to practise a bit more look at gcse level multiplication, division, subtraction and addition type questions, they’re similar. Good luck with the RT!

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Did my joining phase two years ago so it’s still relatively fresh. I was never told my marks either what I should aim for pre test nor what I got post test.
I think it’s only an issue if you fail and want feedback.
Just search online for tests. Prison officer, firefighter, etc., they’re all relatively similar and get your brain working in different areas. I even got my wife to just write out 30 maths questions at a time and I’d set a time limit and go for it. I also found BBC bitesize quite useful but only the basics.
You shouldn’t have a problem if you’ve got A levels!
Advice on the day - if you get stuck, leave it and go on. They tend to set them in waves of easy to hard then back to easy then hard! If you’ve any time left, and you will be pushed, go back and guess! You’ve normally a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.
That’s my advice, but then again I was last at school in ‘83! But I did pass everything and got in.
Good luck

Belfast1882

Midshipman
Done the RT today. Thanks for advice above guys, 100% helped. Pretty sure I've nailed the reasoning, maths and english sections and only about 5 questions in mechanical that I was guessing at. Probably won't hear anything until October now apparently but fingers crossed... would of liked to of heard my scores there and then like the others who were taking it for Marines/Navy. Keeping everything crossed.

CreativeOfficer

Midshipman
Done the RT today. Thanks for advice above guys, 100% helped. Pretty sure I've nailed the reasoning, maths and english sections and only about 5 questions in mechanical that I was guessing at. Probably won't hear anything until October now apparently but fingers crossed... would of liked to of heard my scores there and then like the others who were taking it for Marines/Navy. Keeping everything crossed.
That’s fantastic news! It is unlikely you will hear anything till at least the middle of September (October sounds about right) because most of the recruiting staff are on annual leave for a few weeks now. Good luck with the next step!

Styopa

I did my RT yesterday morning and heard that I'd passed within a few hours so hopefully it's the same for you, good luck!

seajudged

Badgeman
Time moves slowly in the RFA
Did my joining phase two years ago so it’s still relatively fresh. I was never told my marks either what I should aim for pre test nor what I got post test.
I think it’s only an issue if you fail and want feedback.
Just search online for tests. Prison officer, firefighter, etc., they’re all relatively similar and get your brain working in different areas. I even got my wife to just write out 30 maths questions at a time and I’d set a time limit and go for it. I also found BBC bitesize quite useful but only the basics.
You shouldn’t have a problem if you’ve got A levels!
Advice on the day - if you get stuck, leave it and go on. They tend to set them in waves of easy to hard then back to easy then hard! If you’ve any time left, and you will be pushed, go back and guess! You’ve normally a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.
That’s my advice, but then again I was last at school in ‘83! But I did pass everything and got in.
Good luck
Got nothing yet. Buzzing for a sleepless night exactly what I wanted!
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk