Joining the RFA?

Hi and thanks for your input, but what's with the “if so?” What's your motto, trust no-one? Maybe justified in on-line dealings but feel free to quiz me on Fisguard. As it happens, the old huts of Tribe div are still standing, just as they were, now separated by a barbed wire fence from the small industrial estate it has become. Yes, I was an “East side bender”.

Anyway, your point may have merit. After receiving the rejection letter I rang up, as invited, for some feedback. It seems that the main thing she hadn't liked, (some may know who I'm talking about there,) was really a misunderstanding with regards to one of my reasons for choosing seaman app.

I had said that I felt it offered me a quicker route back to sea, (which I'm sure I concluded after reading the web site.)

She seemed to think that I was suggesting that seaman app was in some way an easier option, (and I did recall noticing her react to it at the time,) which isn't what I meant or thought at all. If anything, it could well be the harder option for me as it would be all new. I can barely tie shoe laces, let alone do fancy seamany type knots!

Plus, I'm not sure how highly my experience/qualifications would be valued today. I used to maintain missile systems and I'm not sure many RFAs carry SAMs.

Part of the reason why I didn't choose engineer app is that I have, perhaps mistakenly, a vision of being stuck down an engine/boiler room on some old ship mopping up oil for 4 months, (exaggeration, but I'm sure you get the picture.)

I don't know. I'm going to give it one more shot but am undecided as to which one to go for. Maybe I should play to my strengths.

Thanks again,

LG.

Seadog

War Hero
Hi and thanks for your input, but what's with the “if so?” What's your motto, trust no-one?
You wrote that you’d been a WEA. You didn’t say what rate you got to or how long you served. Invalided out while still an apprentice or WO with 30 years or some point in between?

Seadog

War Hero
Plus, I'm not sure how highly my experience/qualifications would be valued today. I used to maintain missile systems and I'm not sure many RFAs carry SAMs.
First principles are transferable. Former WEs, even missile maintainers have appeared in the ranks of RFA SE officers.

FFS, I know a submariner nuclear engineer who has a Civil Engineering degree.

Question 1. How do you spell Fisgard? :rolleyes:
Fell at the first!! :(

In reply to sea dog, my experience would fall "somewhere in between". 10 years.

Just done 16 years on the railways, which I'm now sick of. I'm single, no ties at home and would love to get back to sea in some capacity. I'm sure that I would enjoy the 4 months on, (most of the time!) and, as my holidays these days tend to be long cycling ones, the 3 months off would be perfect.

I'm no spring chicken but as fit and healthy as most blokes 10-15yrs younger than me. I'm sure that I could pick up, learn and cope with the syllabus of Eng App, (if I was to improve my spelling that is!)

That's the way I'm now leaning.

LG.

Last edited:
Yeh that's the one mate, latest I can hand in my notice is mid July so I'll have to get chasing. Securities been a pain because I've moved whilst it's been going through. Very much looking forward to the all clear and preparing for September!
Alright mate. How are you getting on with the SC ? are you any closer? Ive finally got my last MMR (2) jab done and sent off so that's it all done, just waiting for joining instructions and formal letter etc think klanky67 said it could be a few weeks for that to come through.

Received an email today from RFA admin saying everything is in order and that i should be getting my formal contract soon. I am so made up and cannot wait to start in September. ( Wont get too excited until the contract/joining instructions land on the door mat) but a very happy man here. Time to write up my resignation.

Alright mate. How are you getting on with the SC ? are you any closer? Ive finally got my last MMR (2) jab done and sent off so that's it all done, just waiting for joining instructions and formal letter etc think klanky67 said it could be a few weeks for that to come through.
Nothing yet mate, phoning tomorrow to check. Last ditch attempt to get an update.

Received an email today from RFA admin saying everything is in order and that i should be getting my formal contract soon. I am so made up and cannot wait to start in September. ( Wont get too excited until the contract/joining instructions land on the door mat) but a very happy man here. Time to write up my resignation.
Phonecall from the recruiting office saying my contracts in the post. Looks like I'll be joining you in September mate.

Seadog

War Hero
Well done on answering an 8 year old post from a poster who hasn’t been logged on for 7 years and providing an answer with no context.

Having looked at your other contributions during your short stay, I’m not hopeful that -should you stay-you’ll add value.

Phonecall from the recruiting office saying my contracts in the post. Looks like I'll be joining you in September mate.
Nice one !! I got an email saying 'dont hand your notice in just yet....' but the they will be sending out the contracts next week. Looking good bud, be nice to meet you at Raleigh, only 7 weeks . :)

EDIT: Got the contract today :)

Last edited: