Joining the RFA?

Nice one, thanks for letting me know, explains why I didn’t get an email back last week.

Also, how long are you having to wait from training at Raleigh, to joining your first ship?

Thanks in advance.
About a month, with a two day course we did in Portsmouth right after finishing at Raleigh (PSSR - how to lift a box, not bang doors, first aid etc)... and we've got a five day course to do at Portsmouth next week, (BSSC - basic sea survival course, firefighting, sinking ship simulator etc), before joining a ship at the end of the month.

Any more questions, ask away. I'm at a loose end for a couple of days.

About a month, with a two day course we did in Portsmouth right after finishing at Raleigh (PSSR - how to lift a box, not bang doors, first aid etc)... and we've got a five day course to do at Portsmouth next week, (BSSC - basic sea survival course, firefighting, sinking ship simulator etc), before joining a ship at the end of the month.

Any more questions, ask away. I'm at a loose end for a couple of days.
Hi canoe, so if those courses are after basic training what's involved in the actual training? Theory theory and more theory??

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
The courses after Raleigh are the MCA requirements that all seafarers have to do on a regular basis under the STWC95 regs. The course at Raleigh is all about your specific role in the RFA. In this case seamanship. This is a mixture of theory and practical.

Same with my doctor, went to check what vaccs I've had done, the reply was that it's expensive and could take a while! It's checking a computer, how difficult is that? September can't come soon enough
I got my SC through within 9 days that was weeks back, got my discharge book and I passed my ENG1 today so just the vaccinations and minor brushing up here and there and hopefully all will be good for a start.,

I got my SC through within 9 days that was weeks back, got my discharge book and I passed my ENG1 today so just the vaccinations and minor brushing up here and there and hopefully all will be good for a start.,
Same here, medical passed today, all shots done, just waiting on security clearance to come through. Trying to find any info that's in the course to read up on, slim pickings so far tho!

Hi everyone, at what point should I expect my final instructions for joining? I start September and I'm getting close to my hand in date for my work notice. Thanks
Alright mate have you had your formal acceptance for September? Im still outstanding my final MMR jab which I get in 2 weeks then wondering the same thing about the joining instructions or are they the same thing? cheers

Hi guys! I got mine about a month beforehand for Steward App. Other groups got theirs a week or so afterwards. Can't believe I'm more than halfway through at Raleigh already! Loving it.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
If you’ve had a letter confirming you’ve been accepted then what else do you need regarding handing in your notice? I take it the acceptance letter included your contract?

Alright mate have you had your formal acceptance for September? Im still outstanding my final MMR jab which I get in 2 weeks then wondering the same thing about the joining instructions or are they the same thing? cheers
Yeh had my acceptance ages ago, still not had security clearance back, I'll have to chase that up. No contracts through tho, just that I start in September. Joining pack I received states do not cancel employment until formal offer comes through. If it's a month before I can handle.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
I received mine about 6 weeks before Raleigh start date. The security clearance can be an issue as there was one guy who didn’t make the start of course because of the delay.
Sit tight. If there’s an issue with your clearance it could mean you staring in the January instead. So you don’t want to be jacking in your job for now. But like I said there’s still plenty of time to get the contract through.
Keep checking your emails (spam as well) as security could ask you for more info on a whole range of things. It is quite a thorough check including financial matters, previous addresses, co-habitees, etc.

Yeh had my acceptance ages ago, still not had security clearance back, I'll have to chase that up. No contracts through tho, just that I start in September. Joining pack I received states do not cancel employment until formal offer comes through. If it's a month before I can handle.
I had that I think, is it the 'Start 9th September...' letter and pack? i'm through all the hoops bar my last MMR jab. RFA admin sent me an email with what was outstanding a month or so ago which in my case was my MMR vacc jab. is that any help ?

Riff Raff

Last edited:
I had that I think, is it the 'Start 9th September...' letter and pack? i'm through all the hoops bar my last MMR jab. RFA admin sent me an email with what was outstanding a month or so ago which in my case was my MMR vacc jab. is that any help ?

Riff Raff
Yeh that's the one mate, latest I can hand in my notice is mid July so I'll have to get chasing. Securities been a pain because I've moved whilst it's been going through. Very much looking forward to the all clear and preparing for September!

Morning all,

I have applied for the Seamanship Apprenticeship role, have passed the tests, and am now waiting for the results of the Sift process. I was told it was in June, but haven't heard anything yet. I tried emailing to no avail. Is there anyone else still waiting for their Sift, or am I to assume that hearing nothing means I haven't been successful?

Cheers!

My postie works weekends, at least Saturdays.

Anyway, just joined, the forum that is. I'm an ex-matelot and last year tried to join the RFA. Don't know why I've left it so late but that's me. I guess that I thought that I was too old.

I'm an ex WEA but was only applying for seaman app. Failed at the interview, (probably the first formal interview I've ever had. When I joined the RN I think that if you could make your way to the careers office then you were in.)

My year is up so I'm free to have another go, if I want to risk another disappointment, (which I'm willing to do.)

Is there anyway of finding out which branch they are most short of, seaman or engineering? I would prefer seaman but would consider engineer if I felt my chances of success would be improved.

Having been through it once I do feel that I could make a great improvement on my interview, if I could get another shot.

Cheers, LG.

Latest Threads