Joining the RFA?

Nice one, thanks for letting me know, explains why I didn’t get an email back last week.

Also, how long are you having to wait from training at Raleigh, to joining your first ship?

Thanks in advance.
About a month, with a two day course we did in Portsmouth right after finishing at Raleigh (PSSR - how to lift a box, not bang doors, first aid etc)... and we've got a five day course to do at Portsmouth next week, (BSSC - basic sea survival course, firefighting, sinking ship simulator etc), before joining a ship at the end of the month.

Any more questions, ask away. I'm at a loose end for a couple of days.

About a month, with a two day course we did in Portsmouth right after finishing at Raleigh (PSSR - how to lift a box, not bang doors, first aid etc)... and we've got a five day course to do at Portsmouth next week, (BSSC - basic sea survival course, firefighting, sinking ship simulator etc), before joining a ship at the end of the month.

Any more questions, ask away. I'm at a loose end for a couple of days.
Hi canoe, so if those courses are after basic training what's involved in the actual training? Theory theory and more theory??

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
The courses after Raleigh are the MCA requirements that all seafarers have to do on a regular basis under the STWC95 regs. The course at Raleigh is all about your specific role in the RFA. In this case seamanship. This is a mixture of theory and practical.

Same with my doctor, went to check what vaccs I've had done, the reply was that it's expensive and could take a while! It's checking a computer, how difficult is that? September can't come soon enough
I got my SC through within 9 days that was weeks back, got my discharge book and I passed my ENG1 today so just the vaccinations and minor brushing up here and there and hopefully all will be good for a start.,

I got my SC through within 9 days that was weeks back, got my discharge book and I passed my ENG1 today so just the vaccinations and minor brushing up here and there and hopefully all will be good for a start.,
Same here, medical passed today, all shots done, just waiting on security clearance to come through. Trying to find any info that's in the course to read up on, slim pickings so far tho!