Joining the RFA?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
The longer the beard the better. Make sure it’s tarred with red bows at the end. If they ask a question you can’t answer set fire to your beard tails, stick your wooden leg on the desk and shout shackle your cackle and lash down your larynx you land lubber!

Or go in a suit with a neatly trimmed beard and haircut.

Can anyone on the April deck apprentice course tell me what date they need to have all their jabs/paperwork etc, done by? I’m waiting on hearing if I’ll be starting in April or September.

My son is going 29th April, he had to have all his jabs and ENG1 done by end Jan. He got his formal offer through last week and sent the signed copies back today.

Hi all,

Received application form and submitted it on the 9th and told to wait 7 days.
They passed and called recruitment line who brought up the system change, 14-21 day waiting period and that my AFCO had my application already...

Beast of the east and over the 21 days past still not heard from AFCO.

Can't call just get voicemail so waiting further til office in under normal hours away from snow but could something be up with application?

Any insight a huge help!
Cheers.

Already have ENG1, vaccines, discharge book and STCW certs

See you there! Your post is the first I've seen for anyone joining the RFA on 29th of April. So looking forward to starting everyday seems to be dragging!

Hi all, I'm new here but have been following the forum since I my application last year and just looking for general information. I am ex Pongo and have applied for the seamanship apprentice role and recently had my interview at Portsmouth . I sat through the interview after literally trapping my finger in the door of the MOD gatehouse on the way in and had my finger nail hanging off and throbbing like a Disney cartoon character throughout the interview. I think it went well (hard to read the interviewers reactions though) and if I am successful do I have to get my own ENG1 and inoculations? (questions I should have asked at the interview) and if I complete my training at HMS Raleigh what class of ship would I be likely to start on ? or any other relative information or literature I could maybe start reading up on about anything to do with the seamanship apprenticeship would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Riff Raff if you're successful and I hope you are then you will find out by post. You will also receive all the relevant information on what to do next. ENG1 , Discharge book, vaccinations background check all that sort of stuff. The majority of it you can claim back as expenses. My advice would be to get it all done as soon as possible as getting it all done can take along time. I believe the apprenticeship takes around 2 years and it's not a guaranteed job offer so you need to prove yourself whilst your there. I feel you will be assigned to numerous different ships if your lucky enough to get a job out of the apprenticeship, you will be placed where they need you. I personally hope I get placed on one of the new Tide class tankers as they are the most up-to-date. I think you do some maths and English as part of the apprenticeship to so brushing up on some basics if you left school along time ago probably wouldn't hurt. Also knowing your port from your starboard side and the stern from the bow may help lol. Also consider learning how to tie knots with rope. Get physically fit and learn to swim if you can't already. I guess that's as prepared as you can be... I'm sure everything else they will teach you! Apologies for non existent grammar and spelling I'm button bashing my phone ha.

Thanks Dcw for your quick reply. I have a little knowledge with the knots etc as I was a deckhand for 5 years before joining the army (pongo) and I am now a dock worker at the moment... but you are quite right a few hours practice wouldn't go a miss. English I'm not bad at, My maths however is a different pie chart lol. Totally agree with your view on the Tide class, not just new but lovely 'lines' and design. That said id step on a Narrow boat if I was getting onto RFA apprenticeship. Right I better find out about my medical as I was unsure if you did it through the RFA. Thanks for the info and reply.

Last edited:

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Hi Riff Raff, I would look up EDH qualification online, there is a few colleges that post the full course details including which knots, splices, whippings are required.
Regarding a ship if successful at Raleigh you do a BSSC Basic Sea Survival Course at HMS Excellent. Then you join your first ship with the rest of your class. You have an assigned trainer with you. That’s normally a 4 month trip and is on one of the fort boats as they’ve got the capacity for supernumeraries! After that trip it’s back to Raleigh for 4 weeks. The last week is your EDH examination week.
Then it’s back to sea in pairs. That can be any ship. Normally for about 2 months then hopefully, with the completion of the task book you get called to Pompey to be offered a contract.
I’m currently at the second trip phase. I’m on the Tidespring. And it’s a brilliant ship. Great crew, great equipment and great food! Done so much in two weeks. Really enjoying life on here.
Wish I’d joined up years ago!
Good luck

Hi Klanky67, some great information their, stuff I hadn't been able to find out and things I hadn't been told. I can't wait to start in April, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

klanky67 id like to echo Dcw115 thanks a million for the info and taking the time to reply. Just a waiting game now and see if I get to the next stage. At least I have some things to focus on and some bed time reading. :)

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
I'd wait until you get an offer of training from the RFA before getting a medical done as they cost £80. The RFA will refund the cost if they've offered you a job but you could potentially be out of pocket if you get it done too soon and are unsuccessful. That being said, there's no harm in researching doctors local to you so you're well prepared to make an appointment as soon as you get the green light from the RFA. The medical criteria for an ENG1 and the list of MCA approved doctors can be found via the gov.uk website.

Hi Riff Raff if you're successful and I hope you are then you will find out by post. You will also receive all the relevant information on what to do next. ENG1 , Discharge book, vaccinations background check all that sort of stuff. The majority of it you can claim back as expenses. My advice would be to get it all done as soon as possible as getting it all done can take along time. I believe the apprenticeship takes around 2 years and it's not a guaranteed job offer so you need to prove yourself whilst your there. I feel you will be assigned to numerous different ships if your lucky enough to get a job out of the apprenticeship, you will be placed where they need you. I personally hope I get placed on one of the new Tide class tankers as they are the most up-to-date. I think you do some maths and English as part of the apprenticeship to so brushing up on some basics if you left school along time ago probably wouldn't hurt. Also knowing your port from your starboard side and the stern from the bow may help lol. Also consider learning how to tie knots with rope. Get physically fit and learn to swim if you can't already. I guess that's as prepared as you can be... I'm sure everything else they will teach you! Apologies for non existent grammar and spelling I'm button bashing my phone ha.
Did you sort out your ENG-1 straight away? I've had my job offer but it says "you will be advised when to book an appointment and provided with a list" I've found the list and just about to phone, not sure if I should wait until told to do so? Thanks