Joining the RFA?

soleil

War Hero
Hey, sorry to be a newbie sent away my application and if i get in would i be able to do the course at john moores?

Cheers
Are you asking whether the waiting time for your particular job will allow you enough time to do a course at University?

planning to join rfa, filled out application form and about to send it off (just need to dig out an A4 envelope and some stamps) just wondering but do you have any advice for when i've sent it off.

TheRowan

Lantern Swinger
Nah im hopefully joining as an engineering cadet doing 3 year course and i was wondering if i could do it there.

Littlewoods???
As far as I know, all the Engineer cadets at the moment are at Warsash (in Southampton). Fleetwood are starting to accept Engineer cadets from September, but I don't know whether the RFA plans to send any there (I'd be surprised if they didn't though). However, whilst the Deck cadetship at Fleetwood is run by Liverpool John Moores, the Engineering cadetship is going to be run by the University of Lancaster.

So, to give a shorter (and thus more suitable for engineers?) answer: As far as I know, no you can't.

thecoops

I'm looking at the RFA as a new career I've been looking around on the net but I can't seem to find any thing on pay. So how much do you get paid starting out.

thecoops

cheers for that its not as much as thought but then again you only work 6months of the year. Can move up pay scales quickly?

The RFA are only currently recruiting Engineer and Deck Officer cadets. They as with everyone else are making cutbacks. They are not recruiting again until late next year. Contact them on their dedicated 08456 number on royalnavy.mod.uk

thecoops

Im not looking for now as I have a young family in year or too. I've got a mate who's becoming a submariner who put me onto the idea

angry_mac

War Hero
As an ex WE, yes SE would be a logical step, but an SE isnt an officer as such as you know, he is basically a Chief Tif, with all the practical experience required. If your an ex grad WE officer you might disadvantaged if you were to compete with an ex CWEA, as you know RN WE officers do no practical engineering whatsoever.

Megalopteron

Lantern Swinger
cheers for that its not as much as thought but then again you only work 6months of the year. Can move up pay scales quickly?
7 months of the year would be more like it. Are the trainee salaries or qualified salaries less than you thought? How much were you expecting? For some branches it's about double what they would make in an equivalent job ashore.

Advancement prospects depend a lot on branch and whether you are joining as a rating or an officer. What sector do you work in at present?

thecoops

At the moment I'm a civvy ( bin man ) on about 17 grand I've got no experience but as a member of the T.A I am a skill at arms instructor. Its just I don't fancy running behind a dustcart for much longer and the RFA seems quite interesting.

Nikeleye

Been a few months since someone posted the current recruitment for the RFA, does anyone know if they are currently recruiting for anything beyond cadets? Thinking of the Deck/Motorman/Comms Ratings specifically.

ianandnadine

Lantern Swinger
Been a few months since someone posted the current recruitment for the RFA, does anyone know if they are currently recruiting for anything beyond cadets? Thinking of the Deck/Motorman/Comms Ratings specifically.
Not openly mate but if you give them a ring they will send you an application form, I think they are gearing up to it.

niall010

does anyone know how often motorman jobs come up, im interested in joining but when i phoned they said there was only certain positions available at the moment. im going to apply to the navy in the mean time but would rather prefer the rfa

The medical that the RFA refer to is not an RFA medical, but the Maritime Coast Guard Agency ENG1. You are best speaking to one of the doctors who conduct ENG1 medicals, or indeed going for the medical and see what they say.
This is a list from the DFT site, but you will probably get a list from the RFA recruitment team as well.

List of Approved Medical Practitioners

Provided it is not a concern for the MCA for him to work at sea, then this should be fine.

As is a medical issue, it is best to ask the expects rather than 'opinion' on the forum.

When he does come to Dartmouth I will be his course officer, so look forward to meeting him then. I presume he will be coming in September?