Joining the Rfa

Hi there I'm currently joining the Rfa as a apprentice chef, got my physcometric test on the 26th August. Any advice please.

C-Roi

Midshipman
Plenty of good books on it. If you look on my profile you'll find a post with guidance as it is very long winded.

soleil

War Hero

chef ramsay

Midshipman
I did mine back in January, also for apprentice chef and passed with no problems. Whilst it is important to pass it, try not to go into it stressing a huge amount. As long as you have a certain level of "apprehension" that's a good sign as it shows to yourself you really want it.

Personally, I went through it answering the questions I definitely knew the answers to. I then went back over it answering the rest looking at the answers logically to choose what I thought was the correct answer.

I did the practice tests on the RN website which gets you into the right frame of mind them so suggest you give them a go. Whilst I did not get any books for it as I didn't think about it to be honest, but if you think it will help you, go for it.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions if you like. I might not have the answers to everything but happy to share what helped for me.

Bet you can't wait to get started. Is your chef course at Worthy down Barracks, and do you know how long your training might be?

chef ramsay

Midshipman
Really hoping I get it as I can't wait to get started as it looks like an amazing opportunity. It's just a pain that COVID is drawing things out It can't be helped so just have to live with it.

The training will follow this format;

At Raleigh you will do functional skills, 1 week induction, 1 week English, 1 week maths, 1 week IT and 1 week Excel type thing.

At Worthy Down you do trade training. You will be given booklets which are quite detailed in what you do, why you do it and procedures and protocols. The Instructors really do want you to succeed and will help you along the way. Each week in trade training is a different topic and you will be tested on that at end of the section.

You start with classroom stuff the first week at Worthy Down (H&S in the work place etc) you then start work in a training kitchen, you’re given a recipe book and work through it with your instructor making dishes. After each section you have an assessment on a set of dishes. The stuff you cook isn’t for serving and generally goes in the bin at the end of each day. You have a final assessment at week 11 if you fail any of those dishes you have to retake them. The dishes are basic and as long as you follow instructions you can’t go too wrong. You then move to the RWE (realistic working environment) and work shifts ie breakfast, lunch, dinner. Also project week where you cook and your family can come and visit and master chef week where you all create and cook your own menu and the best one wins.

Ten weeks basic training followed by four months real environment in environment similar to galley onboard catering for unto 100 people three meals a day mimicking what you would do onboard. After this six months sea time before becoming fully qualified.

After Worthy Down (before going onboard) you go and do BISSC at HMNB Portsmouth (DRIU - Damage Repair Instructional Unit). Speaking to people, it's a good idea to be fit for the DRUI as it's quite physical, but you don't need to be "Military fit" by from what I've heard.

You then have two periods of four months onboard where you complete the workbook, get real-life experience and all the other stuff you need to know whilst afloat.

The Worthy Down element MAY get shortened if COVID is still playing silly buggers. The elements that get dropped will be project week where you cook and your family can come and visit and master chef week where you all create and cook your own menu and the best one wins.

You're probably looking at about 18 months training (give or take) before qualifying.

chef ramsay

Midshipman
Thanks, you too.

When it comes to your interview, there's plenty of information on various threads here as well as the RFA website. What I would say about the website is really navigate around it. You'll find little nuggets of information in unexpected places. Also when it comes to deployments, use the vessels twitter account for info as well as the RFA website. You might want to look at AIS websites for vessel locations to help here also.

Random

Lantern Swinger
In case any of you lack some light reading, this may come in useful!

RFA Fleet AIS Beacons and Twitter Accounts
note: the AIS is not always turned on and the sites linked will only show the last received information (not necessarily where the ship is now).

RFA Fort Victoria AIS Twitter
RFA Fort Rosalie AIS (Ship in layup Bidston)
RFA Fort Austin AIS (Ship in layup Bidston)

RFA Argus AIS Twitter

RFA Lyme Bay AIS Twitter
RFA Mounts Bay AIS Twitter
RFA Cardigan Bay AIS Twitter

RFA Wave Knight AIS Twitter
RFA Wave Ruler AIS (Ship in layup Liverpool)

RFA Tidespring AIS Twitter
RFA Tiderace AIS Twitter
RFA Tideforce AIS Twitter
RFA Tidesurge AIS Twitter

Other Information sources on the RFA

Websites
History Books (by Geoff Puddlefoot)
  • The Fourth Force: The Untold Story of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Since 1945
  • Ready for Anything: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary, 1905–1950
  • No Sea Too Rough: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary in the Falklands War: The Untold Story
RFA Association (London Branch) Research Documents

EightSixteen

Badgeman
In case any of you lack some light reading, this may come in useful!

RFA Fleet AIS Beacons and Twitter Accounts
note: the AIS is not always turned on and the sites linked will only show the last received information (not necessarily where the ship is now).

RFA Fort Victoria AIS Twitter
RFA Fort Rosalie AIS (Ship in layup Bidston)
RFA Fort Austin AIS (Ship in layup Bidston)

RFA Argus AIS Twitter

RFA Lyme Bay AIS Twitter
RFA Mounts Bay AIS Twitter
RFA Cardigan Bay AIS Twitter

RFA Wave Knight AIS Twitter
RFA Wave Ruler AIS (Ship in layup Liverpool)

RFA Tidespring AIS Twitter
RFA Tiderace AIS Twitter
RFA Tideforce AIS Twitter
RFA Tidesurge AIS Twitter

Other Information sources on the RFA

Websites
History Books (by Geoff Puddlefoot)
  • The Fourth Force: The Untold Story of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Since 1945
  • Ready for Anything: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary, 1905–1950
  • No Sea Too Rough: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary in the Falklands War: The Untold Story
RFA Association (London Branch) Research Documents
Excellent post that Random!
Concise and direct, like something an SE would put together.

Maybe consider raising this post as a separate thread, getting it locked by mods & stickied at the top of the forum?

Stirlin

War Hero
Excellent post that Random!
Concise and direct, like something an SE would put together.

Maybe consider raising this post as a separate thread, getting it locked by mods & stickied at the top of the forum?
There is already a '' Sticky '' thread in RFA forum with Joining the RFA as it's title.
Maybe get @Multiirishman to change the title of this THEN make it a sticky.

Or copy Random's post and start a new thread with it......RFA Q&A ?.

Random

Lantern Swinger
There is already a '' Sticky '' thread in RFA forum with Joining the RFA as it's title.
Maybe get @Multiirishman to change the title of this THEN make it a sticky.

Or copy Random's post and start a new thread with it......RFA Q&A ?.
Would it make it too easy? (genuine question) my list is just part of whats out there and consists of what I have looked at recently. The reason for the questioning on the service in the interviews is partly so that you know who you are joining, but also to show how motivated you were in your swatting up.

Edit: my motivation for giving the list was that you guys were already sharing the answers (so showing effort)

Last edited:

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
Really hoping I get it as I can't wait to get started as it looks like an amazing opportunity. It's just a pain that COVID is drawing things out It can't be helped so just have to live with it.

The training will follow this format;

At Raleigh you will do functional skills, 1 week induction, 1 week English, 1 week maths, 1 week IT and 1 week Excel type thing.

Just to clarify for the chefs it is 6 and half weeks at RAL:

Induction - week 1
Functional skills L1 weeks 2-4
Functional skills L2 - week 5 and 6
Then Chef Apprenticeship lessons - 2 and half days (week 7)

6 and half weeks. Then transfer to Worthy Down for main chef training

Hi name removed by Mod here. Just letting you know that I have passed my physcometric test for the RFA. Found out today 1st Sept.

Last edited by a moderator:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hi name removed by Mod here. Just letting you know that I have passed my physcometric test for the RFA. Found out today 1st Sept.
I've removed your full name as posted as it's never a good idea to put details like that on the internet.

Congrats on passing the test though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
R Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve RFA 6
R Joining the RFA RFA 3
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
G Joining RFA as apprentice rating (but have a CoC) RFA 3
O Joining the RFA in Jan 19 RFA 47
J Joining rfa RFA 20
M Joining the RFA RFA 8
B Joining the rfa Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Joining the RFA (ex RN aircraft handler ) RFA 5
A Joining the RFA from the RN RFA 6
C Joining the RFA RFA 6
exJenny When are you joining the RFA? Apprentice or cadet! RFA 164
C Joining the RFA as a seaman apprentice RFA 4
B RFA joining medical RFA 2
S I'm thinking about joining the RFA RFA 13
AL86 Interested in joining RFA MM2/SG2 Apprentice RFA 16
S Joining RFA RFA 1
W Joining the RFA questions? RFA 8
S medical clarification - RFA joining process RFA 1
A Joining RFA - Maximum age RFA 15
B Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions RFA 9
RFA at HMS Raleigh RFA Cadet Joining Process RFA 8
P EX RN joining the RFA RFA 20
G Joining RFA - Rating recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Re Joining RFA RFA 1
L Joining the RFA. RFA 6
L Another RFA joining thread. RFA 2
S Joining RFA RFA 24
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
SnaggyBosun Another joining the RFA post! RFA 7
I Joining the RFA? RFA 895
F joining RFA RFA 94
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0