Joining the RFA whilst being Reserve

Hi guys

Pretty much as the title says, I recently made an application to join the RFA however I had to withdraw after reading you can't be in the RFA and the reserves.

I did more reading on this and it seems abit backward , as you are a civilian and your a civil servant it doesn't make much sense why you can't be in the RFA and the Reserve forces too considering the fact you have MOD ,DWP and more working for the reserves , including emergency services too.

Could anyone shed some light on this ? As I'm struggling to find any policy on why this is the case.

Thanks

Sorry I meant to add , I did speak to the recruitment team about this and they said it's a military contract and you can't be in two branches of the military ... But I'm reading it from the website and it says your a civi and it's merchant navy basically.

Random

Lantern Swinger
It's simple, being in the RFA you have to join the Sponsored Reserve list of the RNR. For a lot of good reasons you cannot be on two different lists of the Reserves at the same time (Rank/Pay/Call up requirements).

Try having a read of BRd 3(2) para 105 and chapter 17. For the regulations covering the structure of the RNR and the chapter giving details on Sponsored Reserves.

So for you just transfer from Regular RNR list to to Sponsored Reserves (or resign and rejoin if easier). You only have to do this on signing a full contract with the RFA, I believe you can stay on the regular list whilst on a training contract (apprentice/cadet).

It's simple, being in the RFA you have to join the Sponsored Reserve list of the RNR. For a lot of good reasons you cannot be on two different lists of the Reserves at the same time (Rank/Pay/Call up requirements).

Try having a read of BRd 3(2) para 105 and chapter 17. For the regulations covering the structure of the RNR and the chapter giving details on Sponsored Reserves.

So for you just transfer from Regular RNR list to to Sponsored Reserves (or resign and rejoin if easier). You only have to do this on signing a full contract with the RFA, I believe you can stay on the regular list whilst on a training contract (apprentice/cadet).

Thanks , so if I'm reading it correctly , your saying I could keep my reserve assignment but transfer it over to a sponsored reserve contract ?

Thanks again , it's good to know ,

Random

Lantern Swinger
Yes you will still be in reserves. However that is about the only thing that will stay the same. All rank/rate, training, pay, leave, pension and expenses will be as per the RFA the rules.

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
You’d be a sponsored reserve and for that you get £25 a month. There’s no training requirements as you’d be used to as a reservist and therefore no paid training days or bounty. It’s all rolled in to that £25... it means nothing until you’re activated as a reservist. It’s not at all comparable to being a bona fide reservist.

As a previous poster has said, you only sign as a sponsored reservist when you finish your training and get a permanent contract with the RFA. Therefore, you get to stay as a reservist until then.