Joining the navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cts_casemod, Feb 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

I may ask a few silly questions so please bare with me :toothy10:

Well... I moved to England a few years ago and I am quite happy that I've been told that if I renounce my Portuguese and apply for British citizenship that I have a chance of joining the navy.

I am currently undertaking a Electrical and electronic undergraduate degree and I have a few questions regarding the admission criteria for the navy. In Fact is it even worth that i am undertaking a degree before joining? Because i would guess that I will have to undertake extra training should I be accepted to join?

The Plan is to apply as an Engineer, for example, Marine Engineer.

Now... It will be at least 18months before I can apply for British nationality and by then I will have or will be finishing my degree.

I am quite curious about the entry requirements or any other subject I may need to be aware before applying, such as physical tests and would therefore be quite happy to receive some clarification that might help me in my way. I would guess finishing my degree with a first would certainly be helpful, any other tips?

Also, since we are talking in a nearly two year time frame, would there be any possibility that I could have any contact with the navy itself, just as a means of gaining some much needed experience? I understand the fact that I don't currently have British Nationality could be a problem, but would still like to be able to gain some experience, for example in the Summer break or any other convenient period.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Oh dear, standby!

Use the search facility first :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you Michael Portillo?

4. Nop, never heard of him.

5. Thanks, The search returned that I can not enroll without British nationality for the obvious reasons. Since I can only apply next year, my question is if I can actually do something until then. In 'civil' terms perhaps I could call it a kind of 'trainee' position, certainly there are other aspects in the army that I need to know not directly related to Engineering? I would like to do things with time and perhaps now that I am studying is the best time to do so. Unfortunately currently i can not apply trough the standard way, hence the (perhaps) odd question.

The remaining questions are purely personal from people that have Joined the navy. I understand that these will vary but should make things a bit clear for a novice.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MOD note;

Be kind people.

To the OP - have a shufti around the site as the questions you are asking have been asked before. I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for.

7. Welcome, cts_casemod

Have a look at what it says in 0730:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...ents/naval publications/br 3/br3book/ch07.pdf