Joining the navy with Aspergers Syndrone (Autism)?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Why? What is it about? The link doesn't indicate. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/126354/moderation-info

If it is about ASD, there has already been a change with regard the medical standards for entry since this thread started. Candidate suitability, in the case of ASD is a medical decision determined by the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) on a 'case by case' basis. There are already people serving with this condition.

My $0.02 as someone currently serving

I'm not going to comment on whether it should/shouldnt be a bar. I'm just going to state an observation from my time in INT.

I'm sure we had someone in my rct class who was displayed autistic/aspergers tendencies and I can tell you he had a harder time than others.

No one picked on him as such, but the whole group dynamic of baby matelots trapped at Raleigh taking the **** out of eachother every minute clearly distressed him moreso than any other rct.

I'd urge anyone in this position to take a step back and honestly assess whether you could be in a mess with 30 **** taking blokes for 10 weeks and function well in a similar environment thereafter, as i've seen it be quite detrimental at times.

My $0.02 as someone currently serving

I'm not going to comment on whether it should/shouldnt be a bar. I'm just going to state an observation from my time in INT.

I'm sure we had someone in my rct class who was displayed autistic/aspergers tendencies and I can tell you he had a harder time than others.

No one picked on him as such, but the whole group dynamic of baby matelots trapped at Raleigh taking the **** out of eachother every minute clearly distressed him moreso than any other rct.

I'd urge anyone in this position to take a step back and honestly assess whether you could be in a mess with 30 **** taking blokes for 10 weeks and function well in a similar environment thereafter, as i've seen it be quite detrimental at times.
How did he end up doing?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I think one of the things many people may not fully grasp is that although the service operates on daily routines & drills, the bloody things are forever changing.

For those who find constant change distressing, the Armed Forces may not always be the sanctuary imagined.

On the other side of the coin, mild autism spectrum disorders were only actively diagnosed in recent years so there will undoubtedly be many undiagnosed 'sufferers' already serving. The rules have changed, which means it is no longer automatically a bar to those diagnosed with ASD.

Passed out of Raleigh, but with difficulty.

Reported about half of the class to divisional staff regarding percieved bullying however they were all unfounded claims.

It's my opinion that people who struggle to differentiate what is/isn't acceptable will struggle in that environment.

For example, someone would make a harmless joke, then that person would hit them in the face with a mop in retaliation and deems it okay... Not saying that happened, but it's that kind of sense of proportion that you really need in the mob to deal with the banter that people 'on the spectrum' may struggle with.

God knows how he'll cope in the fleet.

Also really struggled with the constant stres/routine changes that happen at INT

Hope these observations are interesting to some

I think one of the things many people may not fully grasp is that although the service operates on daily routines & drills, the bloody things are forever changing.

For those who find constant change distressing, the Armed Forces may not always be the sanctuary imagined.

On the other side of the coin, mild autism spectrum disorders were only actively diagnosed in recent years so there will undoubtedly be many undiagnosed 'sufferers' already serving. The rules have changed, which means it is no longer automatically a bar to those diagnosed with ASD.
I am not diagnosed with Aspergers but I have an SPLD which is closely linked to it. In fact according to this https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/ its quite likely I have the condition.I haven't bothered for a formal diagnosis since it hardly effects me negatively these days. When I was younger I was definitely very socially anxious but I've overcome it alot and in fact when I went on a selection weekend with the Army the report stated that I had' excellent people skills.' However, I still struggle day to day with some things, for example I find it difficult to understand plots in films. But like I say this is something that no one can help me with and doesnt' affect me too adversely. On the otherhand I also have the 'benefits' of the condition. I have a degree in maths and I'm about to start a PHD in Computer Science...However, funnily enough I feel as result of my 'condition' I sometimes prefer a military environment. In the military we are taught to give orders and obey orders in a set way. This is something I prefer alot. In a few times where I have worked in a civilian office environment, this is something I miss. In addition, there's the military's favourite phase-Loyalty. I like to think of myself as a loyal person which apparently is a trait amongst people with aspergers, Due to my academic background I have many uni mates who are formally diagnosed with it and definitely have it alot worse than me. They struggle socially but for the friends they do have, they will go out of their way to help them. Even when working in a team they will work tirelessly. Likewise, I prefer to be in an environment where people work tirelessly for each other. Because for me, that's normal, military or not. Yes in the military you get people who jack on their mates but from my experience its much less compared to the civilian world. I struggle to accept the fact that people don't work tirelessly for each other.