Joining the Navy in the 1960's

BUCKBUDDHA

Midshipman
i joined HMS Raleigh as in Nov 1962 aged just 16. They kept us separated from the rest of the trainees until we had all signed on for 12 years which was the minimum, actually the pay was £2 per week of which i sent £1 home. Before signing on, i asked if i would be alloted to my chosen branch of Radar Plot, and was fobbed off and ended up in TAS which i never liked from the start. i wanted to leave almost immediately, but in those days NO CHANCE. and had to work my ticket out after three lousy rotten sea sick years . WHAT A NIGHTMARE

Waspie

War Hero
i joined HMS Raleigh as in Nov 1962 aged just 16. They kept us separated from the rest of the trainees until we had all signed on for 12 years which was the minimum, actually the pay was £2 per week of which i sent £1 home. Before signing on, i asked if i would be alloted to my chosen branch of Radar Plot, and was fobbed off and ended up in TAS which i never liked from the start. i wanted to leave almost immediately, but in those days NO CHANCE. and had to work my ticket out after three lousy rotten sea sick years . WHAT A NIGHTMARE
You do realise this is an 11 year old thread!!!!!

slim

War Hero
If you hated life in the RN what makes you want to join a navy site?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
If you hated life in the RN what makes you want to join a navy site?

Oh, I like him/her/it. I see they answered another thread with "don't join the RN" which attracted the inevitable responses. It really does stretch incredulity that someone like that would join a forum like ours, but I am looking forward to see what other cr4p they can dole out before they get bored and FO.

Going to have fun with this one!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I joined in 1960, minimum enlistment at that time was 9 years plus 3 years in Reserves, the 3 years didn't apply to those that joined as Juniors (under 18) so you actually signed up for 9, plus time served as a Junior.
If you want to drip it's best to get your facts right, it puts you on a stronger base to argue from.

D

Deleted 108407

1621240123695.png
As a bleedin jack me bleedin hearty i I went up Union bleedin Strasse in Guzz and got a bleedin tattoo done.

slim

War Hero
Your point being?
I think a Tat was a right of passage in the 60s.
several on my course went into Pompey to the tattooist under the arches and most got a Black panther for some reason.
I managed to remain tat free for my 22 years. I think it was cos I preferred spending my dosh on ale rather than ink :)

Waspie

War Hero
Sussed it. Bukkabudda or whatever!! Is the son, daughter, person of indistinguishable sexual orientation of our own Uncle Norm!!!