Joining the Navy in a tough time.

Bradhead

Midshipman
Good morning all
I am very keen on joining the Navy in particular as a Warfare Officer - Submariner.

When raising this with a few members of my family a few ideas were brought up against the idea.

"My 3 penny worth
1. The UK navy has lost much of its significance
2. It’s starved of capital and does not have a strategy congruent with the demands of the 21st century
3. It’s having significant challenges getting recruits Smart individuals don’t want to join a sinking ship
4. The world’s geo-political focus has moved East.

This is something you give a nodding acceptance BUT you know absolutely nothing of what this means for you and the future. AND you haven’t invested anything finding out about.

“The East” is a large, fast growing fleet of ships, which will have significant impact on your and your kids future

Were I you I would not direct my energy, resources and time to ANY sinking ship BUT use these resources to find out more about the new innovative Eastern fleet and think of how I can position myself to benefit from it and have fun AND steer it in a way it becomes a significant benefit to my future family/kids etc "

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciate feeling a bit lost.

FYI 20 years old final year of uni.

TIA

Kind Regards

Bradhead

Bradhead

Midshipman
My fathers side for the past 300 odd years have been RN apart from his generation. My father left home early become a academic while his brothers stayed in Plymouth working on the docks (nothing wrong with it), so for some reason my fathers views are much different and for the whole negative.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Your question No 1 will only elicit opinions, as will question 2.

As for question 3, what makes you think it's a sinking ship? If your family haven't served since your Grandfather then roles, equipment, ship capabilities etc have changed dramatically, times change, the Armed Forces change with it. In your Grandfathers day the RN probably reigned supreme with an Empire to police, times long gone, a large Navy is no longer required.

Question 4, As for "East", do you mean east of Suez or east of Europe?

Bradhead

Midshipman
I tend to agree.

We had a discussion recently ( I am doing computer science ) on the thesis that cyber warfare will replace the need of a armed forces in the near future.

My argument and what is inline with your view is it is more the changing nature of warfare not the replacement of current armed forces with a new force.

East he means CHINA predominantly.

Regards

B

WreckerL

War Hero
China is expanding but they have the resources. What their global aims are is anyone's guess, Taiwan in the short term I would imagine and then economic dominance in the area.

If anything was to kick off I would guess (just my opinion) it would be China v Russia with the US poking their nose in on China's side.

Neither Russia or China really give a toss about International opinion so will just carry on as they are, whether that be cyber attacks or up front military as Russia has proven in both cases. The Chinese seem to be more covert but they always look at the long game.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
We had a discussion recently ( I am doing computer science ) on the thesis that cyber warfare will replace the need of a armed forces in the near future.
Yep, my son's doing a Master's in Computer Science, AI & robotics seem to be his area of interest.

I'd definitely go along with the theory that cyber warfare is one of the constant battles we have at present. The scope is vast and ongoing right now from constant(deniable) attacks the UK and world banking systems, the internet infrastructure itself, the hacking of mechanised warfare control systems, drones, social media & fake news, etc., etc.

You'll certainly earn more as a civilian computer software consultant or developer than in the military but...anyone joining the Armed Forces for anything other than altruism and a sense of duty is going to be pretty disappointed financially.

My theory is we'll still need to disrupt & disable computer networks and those operating them by means other than ethernet wizardry. Likewise WW2 - the computer was developed, codes were hacked, intelligence gathered etc., but we still needed to drop explosives on the bad guys.

Have a look at what 30 Commando Information Exploitation Group do...it still ends in a good old-fashioned punch up and scuffle (as simulated on Call of Doody)

Bradhead

Midshipman
Ninja , Wrecker

I can't thank you both enough for taking the time to share you opinions it is greatly appreciated... trust me.

In terms of time at see per annum and away (i know this must change a lot) do you have any rough ideas?

Regards

George

WreckerL

War Hero
Ninja , Wrecker

I can't thank you both enough for taking the time to share you opinions it is greatly appreciated... trust me.

In terms of time at see per annum and away (i know this must change a lot) do you have any rough ideas?

Regards

George
Depends on your branch and where you get sent, as a Warfare Submariner you'll get plenty of sea time, especially on SSN's.

Good morning all
I am very keen on joining the Navy in particular as a Warfare Officer - Submariner.

When raising this with a few members of my family a few ideas were brought up against the idea. etc etc

Bradhead
Place aside those 'against the idea' for now and consider your stated keeness for that career.

Ultimately (for the select few who make it through Perisher) that brings the eventual reward of commanding either an SSN or SSBN so expand your 'keeness' towards that ambition.

Even if you don't make quite make the grade as a CO your career will have given you tremendous responsibilities and satisfaction from the wide & interesting range of SM Ops, possibly even contributing to the 50-plus years of CASD.

OTOH if swayed towards a civilian career there is scope for those with an aptitude towards cyber warfare/intelligence within the squirellmongery of the RNR.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Im totally out of my depth here , but in a imaginary ww3 wouldn’t the first things to go down be computer networks and the like ? This would leave the more conventional ways of waging war left ... also unless we create terminators soon how can computers invade a place ?