Joining the navy from the army

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by benbass, Dec 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Left the infantry after 6 years a year ago and was thinking of joining the navy. I'm 33 is this too old?I have various RYA qualifications, engineering nvq level 2 and Adventure training instructor qualifications. Would I have to do basic training? Any advice would be great cheers Ben
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You need to get a wiggle on to join as a technician - upper age 34.

Apply online first off, then you'll need to produce your Army discharge documents at your AFCO and sign a consent form so they may retrieve your Army med docs, then request approval to process the application - this adds a couple of months to the selection process. Approval to enter is granted after checking your former service records.

You'll most likely undergo RN basic training, in most cases(The decision is based on your length of Service, rank & break in service). There is an accelerated advancement scheme for suitably qualified/experienced applicants, but Level 4 qualifications are required.

Best of luck.
  3. Thanks for the advice I'll start to look into it
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Your RYA qualifications are very laudable, but I'm not sure if you realise that RN warships are not powered by wind these days
    Here to help :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. When I came left the Andrew I wanted to join the RNR. non of the RYA or the boat driving Quals (Gemini etc.)gained in the RN. were recognised and would have to do them all over again. Mind you it was 96, things may have changed.