Joining The Navy At 32.....

JackyBoy

Midshipman
Hi All

I've spent the last 12 years as director of my own events company, founder of a mental health charity and commercial manager of a 9th tier English football club. If that wasn't random enough I've decided that I want to join the Navy, specifically as a Medical Assistant. I've spent my whole life working with people and am drawn to idea of looking after others in such an important setting. In addition, my Grandad was in the old Merchant Navy so it's kind of in the family...

My question is.... at 32 am I going to find this easier or harder than most? Fitness wise I'm just about there but no doubt I'm gonna find that harder than an 18 year old. I'm happy I can get that up to scratch though. I wondered if anyone had advice for joining at an older age (with no previous military experience)

Cheers

WreckerL

War Hero
Try the search function, this is not an uncommon question, 32 is not rare.

Easier or harder...that's down to you.

JackyBoy

Midshipman
Try the search function, this is not an uncommon question, 32 is not rare.

Easier or harder...that's down to you.
I've used the search function and been reading this forum for a while but would like some extra viewpoints and info. There isn't much really.

Taztiff

War Hero
There are actually quite a lot.
There are a number of members who have either transferred from Army at a 'late' age or joined straight in at a 'late' age.
A number of them have shared their experiences both before and after joining.

Go on - give it a go!
If you find one you like then either PM them or quote them in a message by using their name with @ at the front. eg @JackyBoy

JackyBoy

Midshipman
There's a 36 year old on here who's in week 2,
@sj25105815. He can give you some good pointers, drop him a PM.
"ex army, left as a Corporal of Horse (Sergeant), JTAC qualified, completed 5 frontline tours of Iraq and Afghanistan."

Bit of a different background haha but will do!

Of anyone else sees this appreciate the info.

Maybe people who have been through Raleigh as a young recruit...how did older ones get on with the group etc?

ReggieBoy

Badgeman
I passed out at 37 years old not long ago and I never had any sort of military experience before, I had to lose about 4 stone and build up my fitness from basically scratch, it took me a while but I got there, if your prepare yourself for it, you’ll get through it, that’s my advice mate

JackyBoy

Midshipman
I passed out at 37 years old not long ago and I never had any sort of military experience before, I had to lose about 4 stone and build up my fitness from basically scratch, it took me a while but I got there, if your prepare yourself for it, you’ll get through it, that’s my advice mate
Thanks mate. That's the advice I needed!

Sandra

Midshipman
I’m 32 year old female just pssed my PRNC and starting Raleigh in January and like yourself no military background. Over the last year I have worked hard on my fitness and weight loss.
But let me tell you this I thought I was pretty fit with the amount I do but the PRNC will test you to your limits you will be expected to put in 100% effort and there is a lot of fitness required so make sure you don’t just practice for running on a treadmill.

JackyBoy

Midshipman
I’m 32 year old female just pssed my PRNC and starting Raleigh in January and like yourself no military background. Over the last year I have worked hard on my fitness and weight loss.
But let me tell you this I thought I was pretty fit with the amount I do but the PRNC will test you to your limits you will be expected to put in 100% effort and there is a lot of fitness required so make sure you don’t just practice for running on a treadmill.
Thanks ever so much Sandra. How did you find it being an 'older recruit. Did you feel there were any other expectations?

I'm wanting to be a MA.

What branch are you looking at?

Sumo

War Hero
Well said young lady, but I think you will find they are after 110% of effort as a minimum, you don't have to be the best or the fastest, you need to pass with total commitment, good luck

Sandra

Midshipman
well Sumo I can honestly say i gave it 110% over the week I pushed myself further than I ever thought possible especially on the last day with the sauad run.
But over the week you will make friends with everyone on your group and every one pushed each other as a team to achieve it. You’ll be absolutely fine with your age there was another woman my age and it wasn’t all just youngsters quite a few of the guys were late 20’s
We were all treated exactly the same regardless of age it was a hard few days but was also so much fun.
I’m joining as a CT so looking forward to that

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
well Sumo I can honestly say i gave it 110% over the week I pushed myself further than I ever thought possible especially on the last day with the sauad run.
But over the week you will make friends with everyone on your group and every one pushed each other as a team to achieve it. You’ll be absolutely fine with your age there was another woman my age and it wasn’t all just youngsters quite a few of the guys were late 20’s
We were all treated exactly the same regardless of age it was a hard few days but was also so much fun.
I’m joining as a CT so looking forward to that
@Sandra you now know, keep up the training, it doesn't get any less until after phase 2 training and joining the fleet, but you will always need to be fit?

Sandra

Midshipman
Yeah absolutely I’ve been training for over a year now dropped 4 and a half stone and I am continuing to train I have a better insight to the imf now too so I am goig to work harder than ever now prnc really gave me a good insight

Sumo

War Hero
Yeah absolutely I’ve been training for over a year now dropped 4 and a half stone and I am continuing to train I have a better insight to the imf now too so I am goig to work harder than ever now prnc really gave me a good insight
When I joined, ho so long ago as a very fit young 16year old, I never considered the physical hard, pre joining I was doing some form of physical stuff 7 days a week, but when I was still serving at 32 the thought of going back to basics would have been a bit scary, I did my last leadership course,(like going back to basic training) when I was 29 luckily I had just finished a Navy sporting event, Brickwoods field gun, so I was reasonably fit. I don’t envy you rising to the challenge at 32 but shifting the beef and getting fit, very well done, you must feel and luck a different person from a year ago, keep up the good work.