Joining the navy after having had Asthma

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jtd1982, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, im 24 and i've always wanted to be in the armed forces But i have had mild asthma so was unable to. however the Navy seems to have a much higher upper age limit than the army and i have been symptomless for about 1 year and had no medication for almost 2, Basically ever since i started exercise it has gone away. I Haven't had preventative medication for over a decade and i have never had an 'attack'. So do i have a hope if i get to 4 years of no medication or sympoms? will it limit the roles available to me if i can get in?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

alot of people suffer from chidhood asthma but grow out of it and are fine from there on in,....have you reached pubity or are you still smooth?
  3. I think a lot depends on one whether you are apparently cured and also what started the asthma. I passed my medical about 4 years after my last attack, and the original trigger was 'sunstroke'.
  4. It sounds like you've matured out of it, speak to your local careers office and they might be able to get you in touch with someone to give you medical advice.

You may have picked up on the issue yourself, since you started exercise it's been under control.
  5. The upper age limit for the Army has been increased to 33 now.
  6. I believe you have had to be treatment free for at least 4 years before the RN will accept you as being Asthma free.
  7. Cheers for responses

probably a stupid question, but if stay clear for four years, will i still have to mention i had it before? or can i avoid that one?

Is it true that if i reveal a past of asthma, i will be subject to a more thourough medical?
  8. You won't get any firm medical advice about time thresholds unless you ask a doc, anything here is just speculation and if you acted on it could easily go wrong.

From a personal perspective, given how you've described it, it's worth mentioning it. If you're concerned about a more thorough medical then are there other issues which you've not mentioned? (thats more for you to think about than discuss here) I think a chest X-ray is standard anyway, they may ask you to breath into one of those machines which measure your lung strength, but that might be standard anyway.

To put it in perspective, three years before I joined I'd had a double pneumathorax, passed the medical without a problem.

If you're fit you won't have any problem.
  9. okay i hold my hands up to being dim, i don know what a pneumathorax is!

Am trying not to get my hopes up again, just wanted to now what my chances are, Im sure i can easily go the rest of the 4 years without medication, im just worried i may have detectable symptoms, if that makes sense
  10. Hi Jtd1982. I'm a civvie and a nurse. The first thing I have to say is that it is never a good idea to withold any of your medical history from anyone. It doesn't matter how insignificant it is or whether you think it would stop you from progressing in your career. I'm a little confused though. You say that you haven't had symptoms for a year or medication for 2. But then you say you haven't had preventative medication for 10 and never had an 'attack'. By preventative medication do you mean an inhaler? If so what was the medication you had 2 yrs ago? An Asthma attack can range from breathlessness requiring medicaiton to complete respiratory arrest. Maybe you could clarify some of this for me? As SouthLancsLad said the age limit has been increased in the army to 33. And there is alot of things you can do to build up your lung's vital capacity in the meantime. It is good your symptoms go with exercise. Swimming is exceptionally good for asthmatics to build lung capacity. Let me know if I can help some more.
  11. Puntured lungs, sorry.
  12. cheers for response, you get 1 inhaler to prevent an attack and 1 to relieve wheeze!

i heard swimming was good for asthma but have stopped because i aso heard that chlorine can make it worse.

I dont suppose you know how doctors actually 'check' for asthma?
  13. Hi Jtd1982. Have quick down-time at work so can respond. Preventative inhaler would be something like atrovent or betamethasone. They are stearoid based. Relieving inhaler is probably ventolin. So if I can put 2+2 together you haven't needed ventolin for 2 yrs(?). That's pretty good if I am reading information right.
    The stuff about chlorine is not relevant for you. Unless you have had an asthma attack specifically as a result of chlorine than don't worry mate! Get in there and do your laps :)
    As I said originally asthma can range from breathlessness to respiratory arrest. You can have a pulmonary function test, which tests for lung capacity for all sorts of pulmonary conditions including asthma. But from what you have said, I don't think you would need one. Talk to your GP. Tell him/her what you want to achieve and your concerns. They are not all rogues (I have some stories though;)).
    One last point mate, stop worrying! Pinta
  14. A lot of people have in the past been erroneously diagnosed as Asthmatics.You MAY have been onbe of these.I echo aussiepints response.