Joining the Marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Whizbox, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've always wanted to be an officer in the marines. I'm 15 and not going to lie a bit on the podgy side but i'm hardly unfit. I can do 50 pressups in 2 minutes and 55 situps in 2 minutes, yet still my mum says i'm not fit enough. Can anyone confirm if fitness at 15 determines whether you will be fit enough at 21 after university to join the corps?
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've previously posted that you wanted to be an engineering Officer in various roles. What exactly is it you want?
  3. I enjoy both, it's just I'd like to know where I stand when applying for scholarships etc, if there is no chance in becoming a royal marine officer then as the previous ad stated I "need not apply"
  4. Blackrat

If you are unsure, the RM is not for you. You need to be 100% committed.
  5. No it's not me that's not sure, it's my mum who needs persuading after all I will be applying for scholarships before my 16th birthday and therefore I am still under her control.
  6. Blackrat

I'd do some research pronto then me laddy.
  7. I have done a lot of research, I think I'm fit enough, my mum doesn't really, I'm just trying to actually look fit and then maybe my mum will believe me
  8. 6 years of focussed fitness and eating should be enough to whip you into physical shape (!!!) as for having the mental strength and that as blackrat says you need to think of what you want!
  9. Blackrat

You're not fit enough. You're not even close, trust me. Don't try to look fit, get fit.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That's just the kind of motivation i need mate haha cheers ;) considering it's 6 years until I would actually join the corps I think I've got time
  11. Blackrat

Then i wish you luck.
  12. And in 6 years time you can tell your Mum to do one as it's not her decision (but politely of course, as you'll still need your washing done).
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you want a sixth form scholarship to join the Royal Marines as an Officer you`ll need mostly A grades at GCSE, be physically fit enough to pass POC and mentally able to pass AIB aged 15/16.

If you think you can do it, crack-on. On average about two or three are awarded annually from the whole of UK.

In my region, about 40% pass the recruiting test for Officer, the first element of selection. The key is preparation at every stage.

Good luck.
  14. Good God. Good luck.
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Whizbox wrote

Few if any of your correspondents have 15 year old boys as mates. We will call you 'laddie' or 'youngster' and you can either refrain from using terms of endearment or use something more appropriate. If adults on the internet called you 'mate' they'd be accused of grooming.

But good luck in joining the Corps come the time.......................... laddie.
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Ignore them.....

I joined the Corps at 16, passed my Commando tests at 17.

What's your mum like?
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A lot less than you may think if applying for sponsorship through 6th Form or Uni.

Those applying for a Sixth Form Scholarship must pass the same POC & AIB as a 21 year old