Joining the French or Canadian Navy

Discussion in 'International' started by FistFullOfNails, Jun 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know we're fairly interlinked with NZ navy but do france or Canada ever push for current serving members of the RN?
  2. I hope the other 805 posts you've put up haven't been along the lines of "hmmm" otherwise your contribution to this forum has been a waste of time.
  3. hmmmm
  4. Fair enough if you disagree with it but it's a pretty legitimate question. New Zealand push for RN recruitment so I was simply asking if Canada - who as a british state, share our monarchy - ever push for RN members.

It's just a musing thought for a future life when the wife is banging on about squirting out some little-un's and I wouldn't want to move for at least until I've served 10 years with RN....but I don't really want to bring my children up in the worst place to grow up in.
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No. Is the short answer.

My curiosity is aroused however by wondering why on earth the French Navy in particular would want to recruit non French nationals......
  6. Why would the New Zealand Navy push for non-nationals?

Looked into it though, the canadian Navy website i basically found out you could apply as a skilled worked and once you receive your permanent resident status you could then apply to the Canadian navy.

Not that anyone is interested, but fukk it - that can be the one new thing you learn today :)
  7. silverfox

because NZ and Australia, who also periodically recruit from HM Forces, are members of the Commonwealth and we used to train their people so there is an obvious link.

France is not a member of the Commonwealth last time I looked....
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Qualification criteria for skilled worker are set such that without a degree or a very scarce vocational skill, you're unlikely to qualify. You must also expect a wait of 3-5 years (honest!). Once you're here, you can apply to the Canadian military but they prefer Canaidan citizens rather than foreign nationals (I know, because I asked the local "TA" type unit when I first arrived) so you are looking at a 3 year period after getting your visa before you can apply to be a Canadian citizen which then takes a further 12-15 months before you get your passport. A total elapsed time of up to 9 years from your first application... hope you've got the patience to wait! :)
  9. That explains it then. But I would've thought as we're now interlinked via the EU it may be a possibility.

Canada is a member of the commonwealth though so I'm surprised they don't push for it.
  10. silverfox

There have been moves made using the Bologna Accords - an attempt to standardise further education in Europe. The basic idea was naval officers woulddo basic training in their own country and then professional training in another, the thought being that navigation, Rule of the Road etc is the same for evryone. Didn't get far as we are the only Navy not to give a degree as part of training. This is much to the amazement of the others some of who admitted that if they didn't offer a degree they would get no recruits at all.
  11. thanks for a decent reply

That's true but Canada (as do a some of the other commonwealth countries and most of Europe) a working visa holiday for people under 30 for a year.

So you could turn up for a year and at the end of the year apply to the Canadian Navy. Being under 30 and a skilled worker may mean I could have permanent resident status inside one or two years.

Just building castles in the sky though
  12. silverfox

I have to say that whilst I have known many people tx to the RAN/RNZN with comparative ease, I have never come across anyone going to the Canadians. Some of the older submariners may know better, back in the O boat days I think there might have been some, but certainly not recently.
  13. I think that's more to do with self motivation.

I know our Navy sets aside an education fund each year for Officers and ratings if you want a degree you'll have to pull your thumb out your arse and sign a few forms.

I understand degree's are done through the open university.

It's probably more to do with other countries placing a higher importance on degrees whereas the UK asks for specific certificates that change every year or so
  14. I find that surprising!

Vancouver and Toronto are routinely rated in the top 5 best places to live in the world!

I also speak rudimentary french hence the france question and why I would prefer to live in a dual speaking country
  15. Damn, and I was hoping before 50. Oh well, now aiming for my 60th BD (whats the run time required at 60???)
  16. I Joined the Swiss navy as a Cuckoo clock winders mate
  17. My knowledge is a smidgen dated now, but back in the 80s I knew a couple of RAN submariners who joined the Canadians, and a couple of Canucks who came the other way. So it was possble at one point, but if it still is or not I have no idea.