Joining the fray!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WavyDavy, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, boys and girls!

I must confess I've loitered around for some time now thinking whether to join or not, but after the recent plea for new members, I thought to myself, 'What the fcuk, why not?'.

Anyway, a bit about m'self:

Height: 6' 1 and a bit.
    Weight: 185 lbs.
    Eyes: Hazel, occasionally bloodshot, but with a bewitching glint when the sun catches 'em!
    Inside leg: 34', not that it's any of your business.

Personal Stuff: I have never shagged a French bird and I have absolutely no interest in suitcases or underpants.

Now, I have noticed that, for some reason, new members are required to ask a bone question, so here's mine:

'What are your thoughts on the wave/particle nature of light and what affect does this have on your day to day activities?'

Answers in a plain brown envelope to:

Strict Alice
    33a Primrose Ave.
    Surbiton
    Surrey
    And Be Quick About It.

'Later~'

2. Er, yeah, right, OK...

Did we find that bottle then?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome Davy.

With regard the wave particle effect, your best bet is to pop into your nearest AFCO as that's the kind of question we get on a daily basis.

Only yesterday we had someone ringing "the Navy" to state a complaint about the length of time he waited to visit an Aircraft Carrier only to discover it wasn't open to the public that day. (Doubtless 1SL will enjoy reading the letter as he munches his toasted crumpets this morning, trying not to spray Mrs 1SL with tea as he reads the contents).

4. Don't need bottles of anything, mate, I live in the U.S. which is enough to mess anybody's head up. 'Specially this time of the morning.

5. Explains a lot.

And two from me:

Seen in various photos some guys (and maybe even some females) sporting beards in the RN. Are you allowed to grow one then and if so what's the deal? Do you have a certain length of time to grow one and so on?

Where does the RN stand on people joining that smoke? Well aware it's 2008 and all that, however I do like a tug on a roll now and then...

6. Not entirely sure if you're tongue-in-cheek or not. If so, excuse (though if that is indeed the case then a little direction wouldn't go a miss).

Yes, you are (providing you actually CAN grow one). You have to apply to the Captain (if memory serves, I've never done it - not big on the facial hair stuff, might lose one of chef's specialities or so on and so forth), otherwise it's baby's arse for you. The lads tend to do it while at sea, because they can't be arsed shaving every day, as I'm sure you'll understand. It must be tidy - so it can't be hanging around about your sack, but I'm not sure on the actual length requirement.

Plenty of the lads and ladettes in the RN smoke, they'll restrict you during basic (probably in hope that you'll quit), but thereafter it's up to you to chuck it for yourself.

-djmm

7. Without it we'd be travelling backwards! It affects our orientation (not mine, though, ofcourse; never had any problems walking in a straight line - even with a torch in the face!)

-djmm

8. They were both quite serious questions. I was going to fall back on "only joking" if I had the urine extracted.

Good news on both questions then, thanks djmarkmclachlan.

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

B2B, yes you can grow a beard, but it must be a full set. Only WRENS are allowed to grow a moustache.

10. The behaviour of light cannot be explained by it being either a waveform or a stream of particles. It is postulated that light is transmitted by wavicle, though there are some difficulties explaining this in relation to transmission of light through a vacuum (such as exists in space).

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...to hide the stretch marks, apparently... :twisted:

12. Regarding both Beards and wearing female attire on board HM ships.

The photograph was taken onboard HMS Cavalier in 1959, and shows our Chief TASI
    with his Wanchai Burbs, sporting a set whilst displaying his feminine side.

And, even after all these years, those legs still do it for me.

[​IMG]

Jerry

13. Wanchai Burbs ......that takes me back, when new they stunk like cack and it took a few monsoon showers to rid the stench.