Joining SPAG?

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

Quite keen on the idea of jumping out of planes while still being in a submarine billet... (I know)

Does anyone have the recruitment process and/or pre-joining requisites for SPAG?

I've read multiple DIN's on UKSF recruitment but completely forgot to check for SPAG when I was browsing.

Seadog

War Hero
I'm not a submariner despite my avatar but I'll take a wild arsed guess that THE pre-joining prerequisite is......experience.

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
You'll need your dolphins and be a Senior Rate IIRC.
I'll ask a SPAG member tomorrow.

Plus SPAG are nothing to do with SF whatsoever. The acronym stands for Submarine Parachute Assistance Group, they're there to be the first on scene in the event of a subsunk.

http://www.subescapetraining.org/SPAG.html
Cheers for the info, I was unaware that you were required to be a SR. Yeah I understand they aren't SF I was just not sure if SPAG had it's own recruitment DIN.

I've been to the escape tank on course and found a lot of it interesting but wasn't really the occasion to ask them about recruitment.

Last edited:

Rover

Lantern Swinger
Sometimes people read media reports that show SF etc to be glamorous, this is not always the case.........:confused:.

They told me it was the QEII.jpg

They told me it was the QEII!!!!!!!;):)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's always puzzled me why anyone would assume SPAG had owt to do with special forces.

They may well get dropped out of aircraft on parachutes but we do that with crated items of Naval stores without the need of them undergoing an arduous course or requiring the wearing of a Gucci parachute badge to which they are not entitled. ;)

Once they land, the aim is to save lives, not wipe it out. The best way to find out more is via the submarine divisional chain.

Seadog

War Hero
One needn't be a Senior Rate. Officers are welcome in SPAG, especially doctors. SPAG is a souped up SALMO with parachutes.

It's always puzzled me why anyone would assume SPAG had owt to do with special forces.
They have a snappy abbreviation / acronym like SAS, SWAT, RAID, GIGN, SBS, GSG9, MOSSAD etc.

Best bet for a special forces obsessed sprog is SSEP or DHP.

One needn't be a Senior Rate. Officers are welcome in SPAG, especially doctors. SPAG is a souped up SALMO with parachutes.

They have a snappy abbreviation / acronym like SAS, SWAT, RAID, GIGN, SBS, GSG9, MOSSAD etc.

Best bet for a special forces obsessed sprog is SSEP or DHP.
The GTPP course would have to be mastered first I would imagine ?

They may well get dropped out of aircraft on parachutes but we do that with crated items of Naval stores without the need of them undergoing an arduous course or requiring the wearing of a Gucci parachute badge to which they are not entitled. ;)
Point of order.

Whilst the Army may dictate that an arduous course is necessary to wear a parachute badge in Army uniform and in Army units, the RAF - who actually 'own' parachuting for Defence - have categorically stated that a) no arduous course is required to do military parachuting and b) the wearing of a parachute badge is within single service purview, not the Army's sole decision.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Point of order.

Whilst the Army may dictate that an arduous course is necessary to wear a parachute badge in Army uniform and in Army units, the RAF - who actually 'own' parachuting for Defence - have categorically stated that a) no arduous course is required to do military parachuting and b) the wearing of a parachute badge is within single service purview, not the Army's sole decision.
Presumably the RN powers that be have changed their minds following this foi response last year: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../460113/201507226_Marshall_SPAG_Cap_Badge.pdf

Article 3920 appears to indicate the badge, not the falling bit, is the Army's but it doesn't state who authorises the wearing of it: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media...s/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-39.pdf

Presumably the RN powers that be have changed their minds following this foi response last year: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../460113/201507226_Marshall_SPAG_Cap_Badge.pdf

Article 3920 appears to indicate the badge, not the falling bit, is the Army's but it doesn't state who authorises the wearing of it: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media...s/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-39.pdf
Affirm - the document came out late last year. By the looks of things, the RAF were bored of the Army telling them they couldn't wear wings despite it being the RAF who train the Army to fall out of a plane.

For the OP, I asked my SPAG oppo and he said contact the WO i/c (you can find him easy enough) and ask for an application form. You don't have to be a SR as there are Killick's in the team although they are mainly medics.

The biggest criteria for joining is experience.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Affirm - the document came out late last year. By the looks of things, the RAF were bored of the Army telling them they couldn't wear wings despite it being the RAF who train the Army to fall out of a plane.
Must admit, it always seemed a bit odd that in order to fall out of the sky as an inanimate object dangling beneath a piece of cloth, why the Army ever thought it necessary to complete an arduous course.

Presumably the parachute badge merely indicates the wearer didn't die last time they fell out of a plane. It's interesting that there are three different types of military parachuting badges; SF upside down wing ones, standard wingy ones and non-wingy 'lightbulb' ones.

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
Which the OP has in teaspoons. I was trying to be nice.
Not sure if you're taking my question in a different context. But experience doesn't necessarily mean skill in my branch so I was looking at the more specific pre-requisites ie rate, branch and/or qualifications. I don't think you'll find too many people that have "experience" with SUBSUNK/DISSUB situations.

None the less I appreciate the reply.

For the OP, I asked my SPAG oppo and he said contact the WO i/c (you can find him easy enough) and ask for an application form. You don't have to be a SR as there are Killick's in the team although they are mainly medics.

The biggest criteria for joining is experience.
Cheers for the info Wrecker.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
One thing that did surprise me in the SPAG link is the team appear to be wearing camouflage immersion suits in some of the phots. I'd have thought rescue teams would want to be wearing high vis.