Joining Royal Navy with ACL reconstruction

I have just passed my psychometric test to join the Royal Navy however I have had concern about the fact that I had ACL reconstructive surgery a year ago and that it may prevent me from joint at the medical stage

Sandra

Midshipman
It’s best not to ask about medical conditions on the forum as you will never get a definitive answer to it and each persons circumstances are different and individual. The Royal Navy’s website provides you with a detail on the medical requirements

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf

Under the section Musculoskeletal Disorders it mention ACL reconstruction, however I personally suggest going ahead with your application and being as open and honest with Capita via triage about what you have had done and when and they are the ones to best advise you on this.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
ACL reconstruction surgery is a bar to entry for the Naval Service unfortunately, end of chat.

It is not necessarily however, always a bar to entry to other services.

Clearly the OP is already aware of this fact and whilst not medically qualified myself, it's a bit pointless suggesting otherwise and knowingly giving incorrect careers advice.

Ninja, pardon me for being Mr Obvious here and also sorry if it potentially exists already.

How about a thread/post/sticky called something catchy like 'Don't waste our and your time applying if you have any of the following....'

Mind you, that would rely on them searching.

ACL reconstruction surgery is a bar to entry for the Naval Service unfortunately, end of chat.

It is not necessarily however, always a bar to entry to other services.

Clearly the OP is already aware of this fact and whilst not medically qualified myself, it's a bit pointless suggesting otherwise and knowingly giving incorrect careers advice.
I find it strange that ACL reconstruction surgery rules someone out of entry yet while you are in you can have many types of reconstructive surgery and still serve. At least a new recruit has the advantage of having done all the rehab in their own time and not being downgraded when serving. Providing that they can pass the physical tests, what is the problem?

I had PCL and lateral ligament reconstruction while in the RN (not by our esteemed surgeons I might add) and returned to full fitness. However during the before and after surgery time, I was only good for light duties. The OP joining would have gone through all that and be fighting fit from the outset.

Are we turning away potentially good recruits unnecessarily?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I find it strange that ACL reconstruction surgery rules someone out of entry yet while you are in you can have many types of reconstructive surgery and still serve. At least a new recruit has the advantage of having done all the rehab in their own time and not being downgraded when serving. Providing that they can pass the physical tests, what is the problem?

I had PCL and lateral ligament reconstruction while in the RN (not by our esteemed surgeons I might add) and returned to full fitness. However during the before and after surgery time, I was only good for light duties. The OP joining would have gone through all that and be fighting fit from the outset.

Are we turning away potentially good recruits unnecessarily?
Quite possibly. I know of people who have had successful ACL Reconstruction surgery whilst serving, fully recovered, subsequently left the service & then barred from re-entry. The standards to remain serving are quite different to the standards to enter.

Ultimately it's a single service medical standard. Whether it in future is reviewed remains to be seen but certainly for the last couple of decades at least, it remains a bar to entry.