Joining royal navy with a DUI

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by entwistlesj, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok guys just need something clearing up

last year I was convicted of DUI and am worried how this might affe t my ambitions to join.

Some have told me it won't really matter bu I still worry a bit. I've paid my fine and my ban is almost up.

Anyone able to clarify this for me?
  2. What's a DUI? :oops:
  3. driving under the influence
  4. it's driving under the influence i think....
  5. Yes driving under the influence.
    A mistake I regret gravely but it's the one and only time I have ever been involved in the law.
  6. I thought it was one of Donald Duck's nephews.
  7. I think DUI is a yankee term, it's just a drunk driving conviction here
  8. i have a drink driving conviction on my driving licence from 2006, and have been accepted to join the navy. however although its something i am also not proud of and fully regret i had to convince firstly the chief petty officer that it is something i regret, then the warrant officer that interviewed me and also had to get all my conviction papers from the courts and prove that my fines were all paid and my ban served before writing a letter grovelling and admitting my stupidity which had to be sent higher up the ranks so that i could be granted a waiver something that had me worried about to the end. so yes you can but first you must realise your own stupidity could be your downfall i was fortunate to be allowed to be offered a chance.
  9. It is something which I am ashamed of and embarrasses me to the nth degree and I only tell people about it if I need to i.e. in this situation.
    I'm assuming the AMCO can give me more info on it?
  10. yeah they will advise you i do know from my experience that any form of conviction they take very seriously and i hope that it wont affect you joining unfortunately i think that if it only 1 year old or less this may hinder you. I can only comment on the experience i have had and couldnt want to tell you something that is incorrect so i think that the afco is the best place to get advice. But i hope i have been of some assistance.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you mean driving under the influence of legal drugs (alcohol), the ban must be expired & the fine paid before the AFCO will consider processing an application - even then it depends whether they consider the individual worthy of a criminal conviction waiver if less than 5 years from date of conviction.

If you mean driving under the influence of illegal drugs then it's viewed rather differently & you will need to discuss the issue with the AFCO - providing it's not class A drugs as that will be a bar to entry.

Best of luck.
  12. Cheers again Ninja.

Yes it was alcohol and I've never approached illegal drugs before in my life.

I'd just hate this one stupid mistake to wipe out my chances of doing something I've always wanted.