Joining Royal Navy (Question ?)

Hi good day,I hope I'm allowed to post my question here.Well right now I'm an 18 year old who was born in South Africa but I am currently living in the UK and I clarify as a British citizen but I haven't lived in the UK for 5 years.Would I be able to join to Royal Navy or should I just not bother applying ? Thank you for your time.

Hi there, my son is currently in the RN and he like yourself also has dual nationality (SA & British) through me. You can join but your security clearance will take a minimum of 6 months and you will also need SA Police Clearance certificate plus any proof of residence whilst you were in SA. Oh and a letter stating you do not need to do National Service, this is quite a problem as you know how the government departments work over here, so, I do believe that the AFCO office in London already has a letter regarding Saffies not having to do it, in other words your CA just has to contact them for a copy. Good luck :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi there, my son is currently in the RN and he like yourself also has dual nationality (SA & British) through me. You can join but your security clearance will take a minimum of 6 months and you will also need SA Police Clearance certificate plus any proof of residence whilst you were in SA. Oh and a letter stating you do not need to do National Service, this is quite a problem as you know how the government departments work over here, so, I do believe that the AFCO office in London already has a letter regarding Saffies not having to do it, in other words your CA just has to contact them for a copy. Good luck :)
Spot on. Dual Nationals holding a valid British passport are eligible for a residency waiver.

The residency waiver application requires the information listed in this post.

By the way, if you don't have a Police Clearance, you can download the form, I think it's a SAP90. There is a company in UK that will do your finger prints as you cannot go to the police there as they are totally digital. The cost is about £70.00 then you just have to send it to SA, if you still have family in SA they can either hand it in at their local police station or like we did hand deliver to Pretoria, they now cost ZAR96.00.