Joining Royal Marines

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by musclemage, Apr 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys
    I am hopefully going to join the Royal Marines this summer.

Got a couple of questions, would be great if you could all help me out.

I dont have perfect vision, but with glasses it is... Can I still be a marine?

Also how should I go about training for the RM?
    I am used to exercise, but I should train it up to go for endurance rather than size/strength.
    How many pullups should I be able to do? How should my cardiovascular performance be?

Also what are the pros/cons of Royal Marine life?

Thanks very much for all of your help :)
  2. Have a look at the sticky threads posted by Ninja Stoker in the Newbies forum for answers to most of your questions.
    Pros, you get paid to keep fit, you get to go skiing in Norway (Not in your day glo one piece ski suit it's true) or go to other locations around the globe on the tax payer, you'll make some great mates and you get to wear snazzy kit. All this and guilt free transvestitism, bonus!!
    Cons, 6 months at CTCRM before any of the above applies. Oh and the obvious tours in the sandpit, but then if you don't want to play don't join.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to RR

Just to endorse all that NZB has already stated. (Laura Ashley discount vouchers etc.,)

Fitness for Royal Marines, whilst very much CV orientated also requires a good balance of upper body strength. The keywords are "Lithe & well-toned" , certainly not "mahoosive"- excessive muscle-mass is not good for Commando training. It's fine to bulk-up after training, but definitely not before.

As long as your eyesight (Visual Acuity) is equal or better than VA3, you meet the minimum standard for entry - any consideration for laser surgery is completely unecessary:

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Follow the link below to the Official RM website, particularly the "Get Fit to Apply" & FAQ section.

Good luck.