Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining Royal Marines

Hi guys
I am hopefully going to join the Royal Marines this summer.

Got a couple of questions, would be great if you could all help me out.

I dont have perfect vision, but with glasses it is... Can I still be a marine?

Also how should I go about training for the RM?
I am used to exercise, but I should train it up to go for endurance rather than size/strength.
How many pullups should I be able to do? How should my cardiovascular performance be?

Also what are the pros/cons of Royal Marine life?

Thanks very much for all of your help :)

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Have a look at the sticky threads posted by Ninja Stoker in the Newbies forum for answers to most of your questions.
Pros, you get paid to keep fit, you get to go skiing in Norway (Not in your day glo one piece ski suit it's true) or go to other locations around the globe on the tax payer, you'll make some great mates and you get to wear snazzy kit. All this and guilt free transvestitism, bonus!!
Cons, 6 months at CTCRM before any of the above applies. Oh and the obvious tours in the sandpit, but then if you don't want to play don't join.
NZB

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Welcome to RR

Just to endorse all that NZB has already stated. (Laura Ashley discount vouchers etc.,)

Fitness for Royal Marines, whilst very much CV orientated also requires a good balance of upper body strength. The keywords are "Lithe & well-toned" , certainly not "mahoosive"- excessive muscle-mass is not good for Commando training. It's fine to bulk-up after training, but definitely not before.

As long as your eyesight (Visual Acuity) is equal or better than VA3, you meet the minimum standard for entry - any consideration for laser surgery is completely unecessary:

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
+/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Follow the link below to the Official RM website, particularly the "Get Fit to Apply" & FAQ section.

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Seb1664 Joining the royal marines from phase 2 royal navy UPO/Careers Office 2
T Joining the Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Joining the Royal Marines with asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S joining royal marines after discharge from army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ninja_Stoker Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Test The Corps 21
H Royal Marines- Joining Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W Joining the Royal Marines Reserve RMR 45
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Joining Royal Navy with ACL reconstruction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining Royal Navy (Question ?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Laser eye surgery after joining the royal navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L 17 year old joining the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 7
B Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Popcorn Joining Up-Direct Entry Royal Navy Police. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Anchorarmsjoe92 Joining the Royal Navy Reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
R Joining Royal Naval Reserve as a single Parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M JOINING ROYAL NAVY - GCSEs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Shock Joining Royal Navy as a white male but not British by birth. The Gash Barge 15
Ageing_Gracefully Joining the Royal Navy: The Insiders' Guide Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Joining the Royal Navy - A step-by-step account Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
E Joining royal navy with a DUI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
E Joining Royal Navy with a DUI The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
L The advantages and disadvantages of joining the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
W Joining the Royal Navy at 33 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
T Forum sprog question about joining RMR from ex royal RMR 7
D Re-Joining the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
S A few questions about joining the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm The Fleet Air Arm 15
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0