Joining RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by bartman11, Oct 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I am interested in the RNR and will be attending an a day with them on the 6th November.

I was wondering if I could get some advice about what life is like in the RNR.

Brett

2. Hi all,

I am considering joining the RNR too, and have done a fair bit of reading about it.

Can I confirm my understanding is right with someone in the know:

1. I must join as a rating, and should I wish to be considered for a commission I could raise this at HMS Raleigh, at which point the NCO would make a recommendation either way? And if I was recommended to go to the AIB, that would happen sometime after Raleigh and before the end of my initial training?
    2. The waiting list for Raleigh at the moment is a very long piece of string?
    3. I wouldn't have to pick a branch or even worry about considering it until near the end of the initial training?
    4. The initial training takes around 2 years?
    5. Branch training takes a variable amount of time, dependant on branch?

I think the above is accurate, given what I have read here and elsewhere? It always seems easier to ask on the internet by typing rather than asking someone in person whilst trying to take everything else in! :)

Is it something you have arrange Brett, or is there an opening evening going on the 6th? If not, I'll contact my local unit.

Cheers
    SBJames.

3. HMS Rayleigh :?

Mmmmmmm - Pronounced like that may indicate Officer Potential but spelled like that certainly does not. :wink:

4. New training ship in Essex

5. Y oh Y did that Y find its way into my post. Oops, corrected now! :oops:

SBJames

6. Whereabouts are you looking at joining? They have quite a few open evenings down here at King Alfred, I can find out when the next one is and if they have any slots if you're local?

7. 1. I must join as a rating, and should I wish to be considered for a commission I could raise this at HMS Raleigh, at which point the NCO would make a recommendation either way? And if I was recommended to go to the AIB, that would happen sometime after Raleigh and before the end of my initial training?

You can apply to join as an officer although most join as a rating, and then decide later on to apply to be an officer.

2. The waiting list for Raleigh at the moment is a very long piece of string?

For the general service yes its very long for most branches, but from what instructors have told me the RNR basic training should not be affected.

3. I wouldn't have to pick a branch or even worry about considering it until near the end of the initial training?

You pick your branch once you have successfully completed HMS Raleigh, and have returned to your unit.

4. The initial training takes around 2 years?

Do you mean branch training? Your branch training can take anything between 2 years possibly for Sea Res, or if looking at CIS then anything up to 4 years.

5. Branch training takes a variable amount of time, dependant on branch?

Yes (see above) some branches take a while, while others have a short branch training.

Hope that helps

8. Dboy, I'm a bit too far away for that, but thanks for the offer.

AledJ - just the sort of straight forward answers I was looking for, many thanks.

9. Hi SBjames

Once I emailed my local RNR unit to enquire, they sent an invitation to join them on the 6th November for a full day. This will involve various things involving life in the RNR.

I know about training etc, but one thing I wont have to do is the RT as I did it for the regular Navy but was told at 34 I was too old.

Brett

10. Think I got one bit slightly wrong- At HMS Cambria we are asked for our choice of branch before we leave for basic training, but it may be different in other units.

11. All very helpful Aled - We won't mention the Boots, though........Or will we? :wink:

12. I think you can advise them which branch you're interested in (they asked me that at the AFCO) but an actual decision isn't made until after Phase 1 and Raleigh :)

13. The boots are under lock and key from the dog lol But as they are the No 4 work boots, they have character now lol

14. You will not be branched until you have completed New Entry training in Unit, have attended the 2 week New Entry course in HMS Raleigh. On completion you submit a request form via your Unit which is then dealt with by NPT(Res). Your training phase can take as long or as short a time as you are able to commit to training. Raleigh RNR courses are continuing to run and there are plenty of spaces on them.

15. I was told that I could be out of Raleigh in as little time as 5 months if I attend every New Entry session (i.e. complete the taskbook asap), pass the swim test, fitness tests etc. You won't be going to Raleigh until you get your security clearance though, which can take the best part of a year for some.

16. Hey! Has anyone here joined as a student? I know that I have enough time and also the commitment to dedicate to being part of the RNR, but don't know if students are frowned upon or anything? I been looking online but alot of the website has been frozen while they update or something? Have contacted the Unit as well but you know, just wondering in passing :) Also, what is the state or recruitment like at the moment? Grim? OK?

17. I joined as a student and it wasn't an issue at all. In fact the only time it's ever come up is during conversation in the mess and when the CO came to welcome our intake.

The website has been frozen because it got broken into by some naughty boys over the seas and they're trying to make sure that it won't happen again.

Recruitment seems to be going pretty strong at my unit. My class settled to about 8 people, and we've just seen another class of about 5 come in two months later.

The only problem that I envisage as a student is getting the time off to go to Raleigh and post-Raleigh trade training as they don't fall in any of my academic holidays. I suppose it also depends on what sort of course you're doing and whether it would be feasible for you to catch up on your own with extra homework but I for one could not afford to miss out on that much instruction in my course so I'll probably have to wait till summer.

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I joined as a student, but not recently I'm afraid. I started in-unit new entry training in October 1984, was anticipating a visit to HMS Drake for Basic Comms sometim in Summer 85 (during the long vacation) but due to a change in basic/new-entry training for communicators that happened around this time ended up doing Raleigh in summer 1986 after graduation. I also did a second CTP the year I graduated so was able to catch up the previous year that I'd effectively missed due to the messing about with comms career paths.

I know things are different now and that you can't do real trade training until after Raleigh, but the RNR can be made to work alongside student life with just a little bit of planning and flexibility on your part. I did a lot of drill evenings while a student and a fair number of training weekends too, and found the RNR a good antidote to the insular student world. Good luck!