Joining RNR with mild Cataract

hi,
I am 41 and interested in joining thr Royal Navy Reserve but I have a mild cataract in one eye, still meeting visual standard 3 though. Does anybody know if it will constitute a straight fail at medical?

Thank you

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi Typhoon,

I was looking into the medical standards for pre-entry into service and can see that cataracts are mentioned under 'lens opacity'. I'll drop a link to jsp950 below.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/

Section 4, ANNEX A is what you need to look at. Obviously this is just my interpretation and you would need to talk to a qualified service medical officer to get a definitive answer but can use this text for guidance.

R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks photface, it looks like it would exclude entry, good chance they will reject the application at medical questionnaire stage. Pity as I managed to pass the recruitment test for Officer entry

photface

Lantern Swinger
Thanks photface, it looks like it would exclude entry, good chance they will reject the application at medical questionnaire stage. Pity as I managed to pass the recruitment test for Officer entry
It says to refer to an ophthalmologist, so maybe a call or letter to the service entry medical cell wouldn't go amiss, just to double check? @Ninja_Stoker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, not medically qualified to give definitive medical advice but in my experience a cataract will probably be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service however it maybe worth getting as far as the medical to find out under what circumstances in future you could meet the medical standard for entry.