Joining RNR Diving Specialty

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by EngMike79, Nov 30, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am presently looking to join the RNR, and am interested in the diving specialty. I already have Advanced Open Water Qualifications and various other things too, which I have held for a number of years, hence the interest.

Anyway, most documentation seems confusing, I have all but discovered that entry is as a regular reservist with a transfer to diving specialty later, which is understandable. My question though, it seems regular entry can be either as an rating or officer, so my question;

Is there a difference in the diver specialty if you enter through the rating or officer route? in other words what is the advantage of doing the extra work to join as an officer?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not sure how the RNR puts this into practice, but in layman's terms, RN Rating Divers do the day to day underwater stuff whilst the MCDOs are "Diving Supervisors" on the surface.
  3. Do the supervisors still get issued with a similar personal mirror to RN divers or do they have to purchase their own from Gieves?