Joining RN while diagnosed with Asperger's

Endymion

Hay guys. I know there has been a lot of forum post made centered around joining with a medical disorder, but I have a question that has not yet been raised on the board. Recently I was tried as "unfit" because of "Asperger diagnosis with management over number of years". I have started the appeals process, but there is some confusion about how this reasoning was worded. First and foremost, it does not state anything about ADHD or autism. Does this mean that the joining criteria stating "Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years." does not apply to me? Does the navy consider Aspergers and ADHD the same thing? Or is it just possible that the person reviewing my medical does not care/or know the difference to begin with (wouldn't be surprised with capita)? I understand that probably non of you are medical professionals, but what I'm asking doesn't require that. I'm asking does the navy treat this as a different contingency? Thank you.

fishhead

War Hero
I don't think any of us are prepared to second guess what the RN does or doesn't think regarding medical matters. If you think they have their wires crossed over your condition the ideal route is to appeal the PMU decision and present your evidence which shows they have got it wrong. You can get advice from your AFCO on how to do this or search this forum where you will find a guide on how to set about it.
Good luck.

Endymion

Haha, my AFCO didn't even know what Asperger's was. No, I have been booked in a medical reevaluation of my statement at the fulborn ADHD assessment clinic in Cambridge to prove that I'm am free of all symptoms. One thing I should of disclosed is I have only been off medication for about a year. But again they state the issue is with Asperger's and not ADHD. Is there any other contact I can all regarding any actual medical questions that doesn't end in "I'm not qualified to answer that"? Its pretty frustrating.

fishhead

War Hero
Your AFCO doesn't need to know the answers to medical questions as it is not within their remit but they can guide you as to how to appeal. There is no-one on this forum who will stick their neck out and the only opinions that count at the end of the day are those of the RN medical team. As I said in the previous post if you think Capita have got it wrong(and they have been wrong before) gather your evidence and present it. You have nothing to lose.

Endymion

Of course. I have discussed the appeals process with him. Its just a matter of if I'm ONLY disputing exactly what is being claimed by them, or if there are factors involved that they are not telling you (like what does "over a number of years" mean?). Having ambiguity (perhaps purposely) without any way to get further explanation or just more information is not a great situation to be in.

huwshpis

War Hero
The late Lord Denning expressed it very appropriately in one of his judgments - “I expect it was a more emphatic version of ‘you be off!’”