Joining RM after hip replacement

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Van_Zandt, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any folk on here qualified to tell me the odds of joining the RM Commandos after getting a hip replacement? Not for me but my mate who is in his 20s and still runs/cycles/hikes like crazy. Had it done 2 years ago.

2. Best person to advise is AngryDoc who will no doubt be doing a Rum Ration ward round over the next few days.

Why did your mate have to have this done?

3. He was in a car accident as a teenager which messed up the alignment of his hip, leading to unusual wear and tear. You wouldn't believe it given how active he is.

4. What Soleil said, plus here's a link to Ninja_Stokers (An AFCO recruiter in the real world.) guide to medical standards....
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=11861.html
    About half way in the first section are Musculoskeletal issues, which your oppo would be checked on.
    Although it doesn't mention joint replacement there, it will obviously be a concern if there is a predispodition to problems in that area.

5. The odds are nil I'm afraid. Joint replacement in major load-bearing joint like the hip - not a chance of entry to any Service, not just RM. The risk of complications (eg fracture near the replacement) is high, plus as he is young he will likely need a re-replacement done at some stage in the next 15-20 years.

6. Ah well never mind, thanks for the replies though.