joining RFA

Discussion in 'RFA' started by fleetchief, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    quick question, whats the chances of a 53 year old being alowed to join?
    15 years RN 18 years MOD Fire Service.

2. A mate of mine an R O on the Danae 72 joined the RFA at a ripe old age, after his RN service, and is still in!!!!!!

3. You can join the RFA up to the age of 57.

4. cheers drakey. food for thought. :lol:

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

drakey wrote

You are out of date.

RFA Recruitment

6. the more I read the more I like. Is it true that most guys claim their tax back?

7. Yeah so I've heard from the tabbing bay of the last RFA I was on, but I couldn't say for sure

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...and you get to take it up the wrong 'un, too. What happens on deployment stays on deployment. Apparently... 8O :twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Whether or not 'most' claim is a matter for HMRC. Those RFA personnel who meet the qualifying criteria can claim but it is not a given. And it's not just for 'guys'. :roll: Girls are eligible too! An (ex RN) oppo with 9 years in hasn't managed to qualify yet and he's not alone. Others qualify every year.

10. I stand corrected.

11. you have to spend 183 days out of the UK 12 mile limit from the first day you leave. it gets complicated with half day rules and you can even get a Q day doing a RAS at OST within the 12 mile limit. it's worth paying an accountant to do it and even holidays count as long as they're out the UK.
    i have heard that they have stopped recruiting old sailors and just want the green lads off the street to train them up in the mould of the new RFA (i.e. sober). if you do get in it's policy to sent your appointer flowers and chocolates if a sunshine trip is what you want, if you want to rock dodge the coast just sit at home and wait for them to ring you... if they remember.

12. I have just been accepted at 52, nearly 53. I did 15 years with the RN, most as a submariner and 21 years as a copper. You will have to be prepared to start again as an SG2 unless you have transferred skills through the MCA.

Oberons_Knob

13. Thats true, I served in the RFA in 2000 having previously served in the RNR and full time with the RN and served in the Merchant Navy with a number of commercial companies as an EDH, I joined as an SG1b. I later went back commercal with a number of companies (and wasted 2 years of my life in the regular army MPGS) before returning to the RFA in 2004, but had to re join as an SG2 and re take my steering ticket despite having held one since 1999 , But despite all that I must say I never regreted it and although the RFA has changed I would recommend it as a career to anyone interested in gong to sea! but be warned you'll never hear so much moanng and dripping and meet so many weirdos in one place at one time!

14. but be warned you'll never hear so much moanng and dripping and meet so many weirdos in one place at one time![/quote]

I'm fairly sure faslane win's that one every time!!!

15. I'm fairly sure faslane win's that one every time!!![/quote]

Mmmm, think Crombie more like, though cold, wet, windy days at glen mallen or wandering around helensbrough come a close second

16. What sort of salary would a 54 year old ex RN SG2 be on,

17. SGII Begins at £15800
    YR 1 £16525
    YR 2 £20076
    SG1B £22074
    SG1A £24114

these are 2008 rates add 2% to this for 2009 and you then add £3072 (which is non pensionable) this is the RFA allowance we all get. you also get the station allowance if youre away from home waters.

18. Cheers for that ,

19. where did you find this info (not on TOOTP), cheers

20. It was on RFACOM website which is an off shoot from the RNCOM website, but you have to be in the RFA to access it.