Joining RFA - Maximum age

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Alanhay, May 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody advise if there is a maximum age for joining the RFA and if not what is the retirement age from the RFA?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

99 according to the RFA element of the RN website, so that means you must join before you get your telegram off HM The Boss. Role Finder | RFA Eligibility

3. As ninja says. No upper age limit. There's a 53 y/o on our course.

4. And a 51 year old cadet just starting out

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. 53 year old on my course. I'm 26, youngest is 22.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

6. I thought the 99 age limit was an error caused by the new website. Fair play to them but what causes them to join up in their fifties?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. I think it's just because they can. I think the RFA will move more towards the younger generation in the near future.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

8. It must be hard to have to learn subjects as complex as navigation/engineering at 50 unless they have prior experiance.

A 60 year old having to fight fires in the engine room- isn't that what national firefighters are striking about at the minute being to old and potentially dangerous?

As I said fair play to them; I guess if they pass all the required tests then thats all thats counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ninja_Stoker

Marriage. ‚Äč......

10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Even ninja could join and he's really old!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

11. People looking for a new challenge/adventure?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Tomayto, tomarto.

13. We've got two mid fifties on our course.

Together they are both giving being 25 a second attempt, and as far as drinking and chasing girls about, they are beating most of us.

14. What's the ages on everyones course? Ours is mostly in the 20s, 2 people aged 30 and 1 older person. Were all in the bar getting pissed.

15. In my intake of cadets, the ages varied from 17 to 33

16. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

About 60 year olds and fires. One could spend 40 years at sea and never have to fight a fire in a gash bin let alone an engine room. Firefighters ashore will be lucky ( for bragging rights ) to get one mega fire where the Brigade CFO takes command, in a career. Fixed systems, smoke detectors, building regs, H&S, better materials etc have reduced the likelihood of fire or its effect or duration. Fortunately for us and the Fire Brigades they have other talents and duties to keep them occupied and us safe.