Joining - Questions ?!

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Berksbloke, Sep 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I have been thinking about the idea of joining the RMR. Im 30 years old, a single guy and looking for a challenge. I was wondering if realistically I will be too old ? , also I enjoy running and going to the gym but my termperament etc isnt that of the tough hard nut soldier I assume Marines will be so basically I would want to get , mental toughness, self confidence and discipline from the training.

I am totally aware that it is a very difficult process for normally I shirk away from this kind of thing but I keep having recurring thoughts of going through selection and pushing hard through the tough times and really testing myself as to what I can achieve

Im prepared to put in the hours and am aware of responsibilities of mobilisation etc but would be interested to see whether a shy retiring insurance broker such as myself can be moulded into a proud Royal Marine Reserve

Am I wasting my time ?

2. In answer to your question mate, NO - your not too old. The max age limit for a Recruit is 32 with no previous experience (Ninja Stoker will correct me if Im wrong there) so your well within the limit.

For the Corps and the RMR, the majority of lads are young and not long out of school - how many of them do you think turn up with a warrior, hard-nut soldier mentality already installed into them?…………………probably the ones that have no chance of passing mainly!!! Just be yourself, give 110% and let the training team decide if your made of the right stuff. The selection process is rigorous and weeds out the no hopers anyway, so don’t worry!!

Remember its as much about what you’ve got going on upstairs and how much you want it, than it is about physical fitness. Besides for me personally, Im fitter at 30 than Ive ever been and my determination, drive and motivation is stronger than ever - the main problem for me is trying to juggle a busy career (I work in the financial sector) with my wife, two daughters, Labrador, cat, rabbit & fish………………Im like Dr Feckin Doolittle!!!! :dwarf:

If your single and have the time and the ability to push yourself, then go for it!!! You will always regret it if you don’t try!! Watch the series on ITV1 on Thursdays (Commando: On the front line) as it will give you an idea of what you would be going through if you join.

Good luck mate :thumright:
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to RR Berksbloke,

Spenny's summed it up very well & is entirely correct with regard age.

My advice? Give it a go, you'll always wonder "What if?" if you don't. There's no shame in trying & subsequently deciding it's not for you, at least you gave it a go. Many regret at least not having tried.

Good luck!
  4. Hi mate

I served in RMR london for 5 years as a trained rank before going onto other things. My point is that an oppo of mine did his course when he was at the upper end of the age limit and was succesful. You will find that there are recruits and members of commando company of all ages ranging from the youngest (which was myself) at 19 through to their forties.

Good luck with it and as many will tell you, only you can fail.