Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining process

I've just filled out my initial application via the online portal to join as an HMO (hydrography is something I absolutely love doing in my current career but find unrewarding with the company I work for and general industry at the current time) and am at the 'Awaiting Review' stage.

I've got a few questions for people more in the know about eligibility and the next steps (apologies for the fairly blunt approach!):

- I've been through the process before, albeit a few years ago when I was a lot more immature, and got all the way up to the fitness test and passed it easily. At this point I chose to go down the Merchant Navy route having been made an offer that I probably should have refused (something which I now look back on and deeply regret) - I've hence decided that now is the time to make a good go at this. I take it I'll still have to go through the same process from the top of the list?

- I'm 29 and have a postgraduate degree in the subject field. Although I've checked the eligibility requirements and it seems as though now they've bumped the age up from 30 at the time of joining (correct me if I'm wrong here) to 39 (I don't have a problem here if this is actually the case). With respect to my degree, I take it if I'm successful with everything else including the AIB, my degree won't necessarily count for anything, or will it?

- Joining time from start to finish is obviously a bit hard to predict given everything going wrong in the world at the current time. Under normal, non-pandemic circumstances, what would be a reasonable estimate for the joining time from filling in your initial application to getting on a train down to BRNC?

Thanks in advance for responses.

TMS

Last edited:

fishhead

War Hero
@The Man Said I know nothing about your chosen speciality but I do know that the RN likes to give everyone the same training regardless of any previous experience. That way everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.
Best of luck with your application.

I left the Merchant Navy a few years ago and then went to join a survey company, funnily enough in the same group that I was sponsored by when doing my cadetship so I’ve come full circle if you like!

I called up the central recruitment number today as my password didn’t work despite resetting it twice and they said that an ACLO will be in touch within 2 to 3 weeks which is understandable given everything that’s going on at the moment. I’d like to think that once this initial interview is done then things will start to happen. As it’s been a few years since my last attempt, would the order of play still be the same so NSRT followed by sift and then fitness test?

TMS

kais58

Midshipman
They're not doing anything in person right now, initial interview they're just skipping, for RT you're assigned a score based on your GCSE results and SIFT equivalent is done on phone afaik.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Joining process RFA 16
E Daughters in the process of joining the navy Joining the Royal Navy 11
J My Joining Process 2018 - 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Joining process Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
P Joining process Joining the Royal Navy 15
G My Joining Process - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
K Acne treatment during joining process Joining the Royal Navy 11
G Joining process officers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Impact My Joining Process (Step-By-Step) Joining the Royal Navy 9
S medical clarification - RFA joining process RFA 1
RFA at HMS Raleigh RFA Cadet Joining Process RFA 8
E In process of joining as RM officer The Corps 6
U In the process of joining RNR (New to this Site) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
L The Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 22
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Joining tip’s and info Joining the Royal Navy 74
TechnicPR Joining with Aspergers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 39
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Joining up! Various. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Gnasher Re-joining after 4 years Joining the Royal Navy 3
Dabs Is it worthwhile ..., joining that is? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3