Joining process

I have done all my tests and did my fitness back in July. Since then I have been waiting and I have rang up my local AFCO on when I will be going to Scotland and they said it wont be till after christmas. Anyone else having to wait this long?
Joining as a Weapon Engineer.
Thanks

Sumo

War Hero
The wait for some can seem to be very long but in reality it is not.

You are used to the tinternet age where everything is done at the rush.

Joining the navy is a process, which unfortunately is man controlled, e.g. if someone has to input data and they go sick, there may be a delay, anyone that has to dot the I’s and cross the T’s can slow the process, plus waiting list, if a course is to run the RN will try to fill it, if it is oversubscribed, you may end up on the next one, so patients is required, whilst maintaining your fitness, keep in contact with your AFCO.

Good luck.

I applied to be a WE back in August-November 2017 (ish) and have finally received my joining date, a few months into 2019 making the entire process around 20 months.

Having spoken to quite a few people in the RN currently, I get the impression that WE is a fairly oversubscribed role hence the long wait.

Bosco

Midshipman
I have also applied for weapons engineering, however i applied as a submariner which has sped up the process a lot.

When I got my date for Raleigh my AFCO said that if i went surface fleet I could have been waiting till 2020.

Phase 2 professional training is running 14 ET (WE) (GS & SM) courses in FY 18/19 and they are all full (16 spaces per course). Totally concur with all said above with it being massively oversubscribed, with the Training Elements here in Collingwood being able to be very picky when it comes to those on the course and the standards they have. When they do complete their training (There is a circa 7 months wait to even join a platform), so as several have said above, patience is a virtue.

Good luck.

I’m joining as weapons engineer, surface fleet. Passed fitness in May 18, just received PRNC for January 19 at MOD Caledonia (Rosyth), Raleigh date is mid February 19. Redid fitness test on Monday as it’s only valid for 6 months, medical to be redone by me also as will be out of date by 3 days at start of Raleigh ( only valid for 12 months). My AFCO informed me at interview that WE for surface fleet in a minimum 9 months wait which is exactly how long I will have waited. They won’t contact you until they have dates to give you. I only got my dates 2 weeks ago!

I’m joining as weapons engineer, surface fleet. Passed fitness in May 18, just received PRNC for January 19 at MOD Caledonia (Rosyth), Raleigh date is mid February 19. Redid fitness test on Monday as it’s only valid for 6 months, medical to be redone by me also as will be out of date by 3 days at start of Raleigh ( only valid for 12 months). My AFCO informed me at interview that WE for surface fleet in a minimum 9 months wait which is exactly how long I will have waited. They won’t contact you until they have dates to give you. I only got my dates 2 weeks ago!
I didint get informed of how long I would have to wait for surface fleet when I got interviewed and i think mine is towards the end of next year, think re doing fitness and medical is a bit of a pain as we have already messed about doing that and they should have told us just to do it nearer to the time rather than doing it twice, but ah well.