Joining process in COVID 19

Hi, I've just applied for the royal navy (Medical Assistant - Submarine) and im a female of 25 (just for context).
So far everything has gone smoothly and im rather excited however alot of the process is over the phone/zoom. Its still very early days for me but I'm preparing as early as possible. Im just wondering really if anyone else has recently applied with the current changes and know what to expect ? As my role is high priority, I feel like I could be in basic training alot sooner (which is what I do want) however I only started running the day I applied! And have been training everyday since. Im confident ill be able to do the 2.5km run in the correct time especially as its on a treadmill. However other things such as swimming ect I have obviously no access too. I have my medical questionnaire this week too. Any advice is much welcome

purple12

I applied March last year as a medical assistant surface fleet, got my entry date a few weeks ago, joining in May. I was last told I would be joining around September this year but then a few months later got my entry date of May out of the blue! I spoke to my careers adviser a few days ago and from the sound of it he tried really hard to get me in earlier than September as I applied nearly a year ago. All I have left to do is my fitness test, my careers adviser also said because of the situation at the minute with gyms not being open I may have to do the 2.4km run at home and time it using an app like strava and then send my time across rather than doing it on a treadmill in a gym. Did a few swims in the autumn last year mainly for fun and just to get a rough time of how long I could do the 50m in, haven't done any since for obvious reasons but I'm a fairly strong swimmer anyway so not too worried about the test when I get to Raleigh. Feel free to ask any questions hopefully I can help :)

Waspie

War Hero
Have a look at this lot. From the search function top of the page).

MA Submarines

You may find something from within. Most newbie questions are found somewhere on here. Saves us oldies having to hear them all over and over. Good luck. (At least you have the run cracked).

Hi purple! Thanks for getting back to me. Yes the strava app, they have asked me to do aswell but im having a few issues with it. My recruitment officer said I will do the 2.4km run on a treadmill at a test centre. You entry sounds quick as was the waiting list still 14 months for you when you first joined? He says mine is 6 months, do is include basic training aswell?

purple12

No problem. I haven't tried it yet, have always used my fitness pal so will have to try strava soon! That's good, I'd prefer to do mine at a test centre too so fingers crossed. Well when I first applied I was told it would probably be September 2020 that I joined but obviously because of COVID that didn't happen. Glad yours sounds like it will be a lot quicker though. I believe the waiting list is the time between when you first apply to when you start basic training

From the sounds of the phonecall my recruitment officer wants my medical done within this month ( questionnaire, eye test ect) I suppose ill know more on Wednesday as I have been booked in for the phone call!I just want to be prepared as possible. Ive been on my arse all lockdown so its defiantly a shock to have to start training! Especially with gyms and pools being closed. Im having to do everything old school and on my own :(

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Hi, I've just applied for the royal navy (Medical Assistant - Submarine) and im a female of 25 (just for context).
So far everything has gone smoothly and im rather excited however alot of the process is over the phone/zoom. Its still very early days for me but I'm preparing as early as possible. Im just wondering really if anyone else has recently applied with the current changes and know what to expect ? As my role is high priority, I feel like I could be in basic training alot sooner (which is what I do want) however I only started running the day I applied! And have been training everyday since. Im confident ill be able to do the 2.5km run in the correct time especially as its on a treadmill. However other things such as swimming ect I have obviously no access too. I have my medical questionnaire this week too. Any advice is much welcome
Applied late August/very early September last year and my start date is late May, so roughly a 9 month wait. That was as an ET (MESM) which wasn’t classed as high priority while I joined according to the RNs own website, although the AFCO told me to expect a pretty rapid joining process anyway. Somewhere along the line the role appeared as fast track on the website again and then disappeared again so not sure where they were going with that, unless they hit the recruitment target or something. My AFCO had initially expected I might get a start date for around February this year, obviously it’s a lot later than that.

It’s good that you’re already preparing, just keep at it and you’ll be a lot fitter by the time you join if you stick at it continuously. I had a bit of a lapse around Christmas and my times have taken a nose dive so wouldn’t advise that, although sometimes it does seem difficult to keep yourself motivated for a very long time, especially when you haven’t clue what is going on with your application. The PJFT really is incredibly easy so don’t fret, if you can run your required time off a treadmill then when it comes to it you’ll have no trouble.

As for the medical questionnaire, if it’s not in your medical history and you know it isn’t, and it’s doesn’t effect you, don’t mention it. That said, do be honest as it won’t look great if they request your medical records. Otherwise, I was told by the nurse who I spoke to that 99% of applicants are made TMU so expect that. It’s nothing to worry about just a massive pain in the backside and can lead to delays if your not proactive since the correspondence between Capita and GPs is horrendous. Capita will pick fault in everything, even stuff you’ve had as a bairn sometimes and very people have a squeaky clean medical history.

Overall just don’t expect to be joining sooner than you think and don’t anticipate a wholly smooth process, there’s a bunch of different roadblocks that can hinder you. Good luck!

Hi Mick, thanks for your reply. Yes I suppose im just panicking and getting prepped ready as early as possible as with covid aswell the recruitment process has changed. Im looking at basic training and wanting to get in the best training so using guidance from the RN fitness guide. I am a little worried medical. I suppose the positive is that the longer the process the more ill be physically ready for basic training

purple12

Oh wow your application is racing ahead! I'm the same, I've been working this whole time since the first lockdown so keeping busy but it is such a struggle trying to get myself out and go for a run especially with the dark nights/mornings. It is rubbish with gyms and pools not being open but like the reply above said, don't worry about the swimming or running test, you'll be fine. If you get any pushbacks try and take them as a positive if you can, I was told so many different entry dates and just took each of them as a positive because it meant I'd have more time to work on my fitness etc. I hope it all goes well for you :)

The biggest thing im nervous about is the medical, physically ive never broken a bone or been diagnosed with anything however about 4 years ago was prescribed something for being a little anxious. I never had a repeat as I havent suffered from it since and it was when I was 20 it was defiantly a one off. I am just getting myself prepared for if it does flag up

Latest Threads