Joining next week!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gav1978, Apr 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya,

Am finally joining up next week (15/4) after just over a year since starting my application.

Now the reailty is setting in just wondered if any of you good people had any advice. Or just give me an idea of how difficult it really is. As much as im looking forward to ending the long wait i suddenly find myself shitting myself.......suddenly it seems a big deal!!!!

Any advice appreciated.

Take it easy

Gav

2. congrats and good luck, I am just at the pjft stage but I figure mouth shut, ears and eyes open is a good start!!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If everyone is completely honest they all had reservations just before they joined- I certainly did. It does change your life & most of us would say for the better. (Self-esteem, respect, regular income, to name but a few advantages!). There will be times when you feel homesick- everyone does, but it gets easier. Just be careful you don't become a lemming at week 4 (your first chance to leave if you don't like it). The best thing you can do is complete your training, as that's not representative of what the Navy is about. Should you leave & wish to rejoin, you don't have to do it again if you finished all your phase 1 & 2 training. Good luck & enjoy!

4. Welcome aboard shippers. I concur with what's already been said. I gather you are around 18 or 19. My 2 penneth worth is: If you are joining any of the technical trades, give yourself at leat 5 years. That way, even if you don'y like it, you will have a good start at NVQ levels that will stand in good stead if you leave. Where else can you get paid around £12K to learn a trade? There will be fun times and hard times. Stick with it. :D

5. Give it at least a year. One of the best ways of enjoying your career and getting satisfaction from it is to always look out for your mates; me, me, me is not a good idea. Work hard, play hard.

6. Hey mate, well if your starting basic this sunday, then i'll be seeing you on sunday night as you'll be in the same division as me and in the mess next to mine as the new entrants are due to move in there. good luck and see ya then, LOL

7. Good luck mate!

I wish I was joining with you!

Hopefully it won't be too long for me either! :D

8. Cheers for the advice. Will be an experience thats for sure!!

9. Throw yourself into it, give it your all. I believe you'll get more out of it and it will be noted that you're trying your very best. Good luck, enjoy it, let us know how it goes!

10. i'll see u there as well as i'm joining sunday just feeling as nervous as u do

11. Good on the both of you. Joining the armed forces will totally change your life. You will have a different outlook on life and where ever you go either with the Navy or without it ,people will want to chat to you about the forces. Training is no great shakes mate. Just listen to your instructors, dont pick your mates too quickly and enjoy it. Best of luck guys.

12. Nce to see someone from my hometown taking those first steps on the navy ladder. Best of luck jess

13. Good luck,

Just remember that basic training is not the real Navy, it's just something we all have had to go through to get to it. There will be bullshit, but for everyday you are in, you will climb a bit further out of it. Stick with it and try to have a laugh - it will go quicker.

14. Good luck!

I passed out 3 weeks ago, and can say Its the best experience of my life and I'm 27 and have done quite alot!

The first 2 weeks are quite hard getting to know everyone and getting in a routine. Week 3 onwards it gets better and better as the life style becomes second nature. So my advice would be hang in there for the first 3 weeks. I was thinking what the hell am I doing here? But by the end I was sad to leave!

You have to remember its all a game, just keep your head down and do exactly what you are told, even if it is a ridiculous request. The course is designed for you to have absoloutly no spare time, and you will feel very tired alot of the time.

Physically and mentally it is not as hard as I thought It would be or even what it used to be. Try hard on all physical activities they love it if you excel and love it even more if they think you are giving 150%

Dont be the centre of attension in your class, dont get me wrong dont be shy, be popular and one of the lads definatly, but the ones in my class who gave it the big one were kicked out by week 5.

Remember; follow simple orders, plenty of effort!!! hang in there through the first 3 weeks and WORK AS A TEAMWORK!

Your meet some good people and I'm sure your enjoy the experience!

Good luck!

15. Cheers for the advice mate. Im 28 and so obviously the age thing can work in your favour. Just as a point of interest of the people who started with you training at Raleigh how many made it all the way. And if they didn't why did they leave (or get kicked out)

Gav

16. It's good to know you're 27 and 28!

Not that there's anything wrong with that - but a couple of people on this site and I'm naming no names have basically quipped that at 21, I'm gonna be a granddad should I get in!

Good luck with your trade training Chewy and good luck with basic Gav!!!

Just 3 weeks Tuesday for my Aptitude test!

17. There were approx 70 in my intake and split into two classes. from my class the two that got discharged were lasy, imature, loud and stood out for the wrong reasons. They would continuously push the rules to the limit and get in trouble for the same reasons. I suppose it was down to them having a bad or wrong attitude for and towards the Royal Navy.
    Discharge is a final resort. You get so many warnings and chances to sort yourself out.

As long as you have the right attitude and put the effort in, even if your not very good at certian things they will help, support and give you chances to get to the standared.

If you still can' make the standard you can be training extended, put back into a differt class to achieve the standard. so you could spend 9,10 or 11 weeks at Raleigh insted of 8. we had 2 training extended by 2 weeks, and about 5 extended back into our class.