Joining navy if you've been prescribed orthotic insoles by NHS

So when I was younger my mum was friends with some NHS person and one day she was round our house and said to my mum that I had minor flat feet. My mum, being her usual self, freaked out at this news and I ended up being prescribed orthotic insoles by the NHS.

I'm 18 now and haven't worn them for at least 2 to 3 years. Now the thing is, having minor flat feet doesn't affect me at all. I am a very active person (in the last week I've done at least five runs with the shortest being 3 miles and the longest being just over 7 miles. I have also been on a 45 mile cycle ride with friends) and I have never had problems arising from my minor flat feet. A few months ago I also did gold Duke Of Edinburgh award which had a lot of walking with a heavy bag and I had no problems there either.

I've always wanted to join the military and it seems like all the British militaries seem to not let you serve if you've ever been prescribed orthotic insoles (I've looked at British army, Royal Navy and Royal Marines but couldn't find anything on the Royal Air Force but I'm guessing it's the same).

People with worse flat fleet than me are allowed to serve if they haven't ever been prescribed orthotic insoles by the NHS and I hate it that my chance of joining the military is small because that NHS person happened to look at my feet on that day.

So is there anyway I will be able to join one of the militaries? Like is there anyway of getting the NHS records deleted? Or is there a way that I can prove to the medical team that my minor flat feet don't affect me at all? I really want to join the military and don't want something that doesn't affect my physical ability to permanately bar me from any service.

Thankyou

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
what is (or was) the issue with flat feet?
Not a medical expert, obviously, but I imagine the problem was a mixture of injuries brought on by flat feet, coupled with old style boots and the fact recruits run in boots with weight. Again, flat feet aren't the issue, it's the injuries they can cause. Orthotics indicate a significant pre-existing condition which, certainly for Royal Marines, but Matelots too, that's going to get worse in all probability.

Not a medical expert, obviously, but I imagine the problem was a mixture of injuries brought on by flat feet, coupled with old style boots and the fact recruits run in boots with weight. Again, flat feet aren't the issue, it's the injuries they can cause. Orthotics indicate a significant pre-existing condition which, certainly for Royal Marines, but Matelots too, that's going to get worse in all probability.
I get that. Cheers

But then you see heart attacks waiting to happen at scran in Nelson
o_O;)

Sumo

War Hero
th
I get that. Cheers

But then you see heart attacks waiting to happen at scran in Nelson
o_O;)
that is the chef when you take 2 sausages
:):rolleyes:
The rules once you are a trained matelot are seen as different, from those trying to be newbies'. Police what you have in-service but try to stop known issues joining.
as for @jkarateking as said on RM thread it's is on you to get medical advise to say you never needed insoles, if your mothers mate did it through the back door was it ever on your medical records? Speak to your GP?
You imply it was done through the correct NHS channels, if that's the case good luck with your GP

Last edited: