Joining Medical Drugs Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DevNull, Jan 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just curious as to how the drugs test during the medical is administered; is it simply a urine test, or do they take a hair (or even blood) sample?

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this even after searching. (Mainly people saying "you shouldn't worry if you have nothing to hide")

2. Took mine back in July I think it was and it was pee in a cup, nothing to worry about bro

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Compulsory Drugs Test is a urine sample undertaken during Initial Naval Training and at random intervals thereafter.

There can be only one reason why a person would enquire about the specific methodology, Jack. Tread carefully.

4. I know it sounds like a bad question to ask, but I'm not some prolific drug user.

I was just worried about the test being a hair sample one, as drugs can be detected in them for as long as you have the hair. With a urine test I would be fine.

And to be fair, I wasn't breaking the law as I was in Amsterdam.

5. DN

I think that it would be in your interests not to allow yourself to be in any situations where drugs are particularly likely to be offered to you from now on.

6. RCJ

RCJ

It's still against the law in the Uk and majorly frowned upon in the armed forces. Bear in mind once in the Navy you can go to many different ports where drug laws are different.

If your serious about a career in the armed forces, I'd make sure you had the longest time between you and a test, and make Amsterdam your final blowout so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. "You shouldn't worry if you have nothing to hide"

8. How long ago did you go to Amsterdam?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The service accepts that a potentially large number of those joining the Armed Forces will have experimented with recreational drugs prior to joining.

As you clearly recognise that the service has a zero tolerance drugs policy for those serving, the first compulsory drugs test and the service are sophisticated enough to discriminate between habitual long term drugs use and a distant occurrence.

The defence of "it was legal in that country" does not apply after joining, as many have discovered to their cost.

The issue is attitude to discipline & authority whilst serving.

If the only reason you are no longer using recreational drugs is so that you may join the Armed Forces, then seek employment elsewhere, it saves a lot of grief. As long as the drugs policy that goes with the job is accepted, then there isn't an issue.

10. Maybe become a gardener !! :cool:

11. Mega.

What a frenulum.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Well I do find it funny how they don't care at all about how much alcohol you consume upon joining, which is clearly more harmful than some outlawed substances.

But such is the wisdom of the UK's drug legislation.

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Which substances are you talking about?

14. Weed in particular, but also LSD and other psychedelics for example.

15. Are you serving? If so I'm surprised you would say this anymore.

16. No I'm not. And how so?

I understand the RN aids in preventing the import/export of harmful drugs, and rightfully so. All I'm saying is, I don't believe that some substances that are currently illegal to posses (due to UK drugs legislation) deserve to be, particularly those that are less harmful than alcohol and tobacco for example.

17. Bore off.

The most boring people in the known universe are people who **** on about how certain drugs should be legal. If you honestly think LSD should be legalised, you're a cretin. Drugs are illegal, alcohol isn't. Live with it. Plus, your argument is flawed as cannabis is as carcinogenic as tobacco. Benzyprene, end of discussion.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You are incredibly dull. The law is what it is.

19. But why do you think LSD should be illegal? Do you honestly believe it causes more harm than alcohol?

And if cannabis is as carcinogenic as tobacco, why not outlaw tobacco?

There's just no logic to it. If they were to ban alcohol and tobacco too, then at least their drugs policies would make sense and be consistent.

20. Ever used LSD? Seen anyone who has? Impulse control and reason is absolutely shot. That's your reason.