Joining in as ET (ME)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by eastender88, Jul 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i just have a couple of questions about ET (ME), does it involve alot of electronic/electrical work as well as mechanics?

Also what sort of job would you be realistically looking to get after you serve your time in the navy?

Thanks,

Ryan.

2. Try here I'm sure they might know something about it: www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: DOH! Beaten to it by Soleil

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1. Yes, but slightly more biaised toward electrical power & distribution than electronics/circruit boards & controls.

2. Speaking for myself - Careers Adviser, NVQ assessor, Karaoke God, Snappy Dresser & all round good egg.

4. And the problem with that is?

It makes sense for youngsters to take a long term view of their careers. Surely it is more advantageous to select a trade which will give you an advantage when you eventuslly leave the service than one which doesn't?

5. I'm inclined to agree with SJRM (edited) on this one.

It appears that many have the WIIFM factor (what's in it for me) when considering joining up, rather than thinking about what they can bring to the navy in the first instance.

6. Seems very sensible to me. Nice to hear someone want to know what he will be trained to do, and then he can make decisions. Good man

7. Thanks for the replies much appriecated.

Everyone leaves one day, am i right? Im planning on serving for a long time so its not as if i want to get my qualification and then leave.

8. Have you called in on your local RN Careers Advisor, Ryan?

9. Yeah i have passed interview/assesment already and i have looked all over official mod/navy careers website. Im just really keen to know more about it and cant wait to get going!!

10. Join as an ET(ME) and once you have finished with the RN training part utilise your annual educational allowance to gain civilian quialifications. The 17th or is it now 18th edition for electrical installation is particularly useful. You may even be able touse it to earn a few bob during leave periods.

11. Ok thanks for the info there! I wasnt aware of annual education allowance, but it sounds good!

As an ET (ME) do you do things like plumbing and electrician work? for example if there are problems with the lighting or pipe work onboard would it be my dept?

12. as an ET(ME) you ARE the "plumber" and "electrician" or clanky and greenie in Navyspeak