Joining HMS Raleigh - The current requirements

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by logicaltim, Jun 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and gents i have noticed that there is a considerable amount of rumours and buzzes on this site about what happens at Raleigh with respect to fitness, training extensions and a whole world of other Phase 1 training bits and pieces.

As a Phase 1 instructor at HMS Raleigh it is part of my current remit to publish a blog on the Royal Navy website keeping you up to date with the current rules and regulations

Through this blog you can ask me any questions you have about traiing and i will give the most up to date answer. Often it can take time for information to disseminate from Raleigh to the careers offices, so this blog is a way of gapping this information!

You can keep up to date on me at the following hyperlink:
  2. Tim

That's brilliant! Thank you for the link!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

An excellent bit of info on 10 June entry, regarding Fitness our current hot topic:

Sadly there have been an increasing amount of individuals who pass the AFCO treadmill PJFT then "take their foot off the gas" with regard fitness preparations despite the best efforts of AFCOs conducting pre-entry briefs, and again stipulating the physical entry standards required upon notification of an entry date and the issuing of the Pre Joining Fitness Booklet.

There are loads of varying "schools of thought" on this one, one being that perhaps the PJFT period of validity (12 months) should remain such, but with perhaps another PJFT undertaken 8 weeks before entry and the time reduced by 60 seconds over the 1.5 miles. If they fail at the 8 week PJFT, there's time enough to allocate the training place to a more deserving individual and reduce training failures. The AFCOs simply apply the fitness standards set by the policy makers - if they aren't fit enough, then the policy makers need to adjust it.

Potential RN Divers & Royal Marines have long since reduced PJFT pass times to increase the minimum fitness threshold. The RAF PJFT includes press-ups & sit-ups in the same contracted gyms. A comparison below:

For RN (non-diver) males, the PJFT for those under 24 is just a 2.4Km treadmill run in under 12 mins 20 secs.

For RAF ground trade males the PJFT for those under 29 the 2.4Km treadmill run in under 12 mins 11 secs, 4 press-ups, 7 sit-ups.

For RM PJFT, regardless of age, 2 X 2.4Km runs, 2 degree incline, !st run in under 12 mins 30 secs, 1 minute break, 2nd run in under 10 mins 30 secs.
  4. Thanks Tim,

That's a great link...with a bit of luck, may see you there next year 8O :lol:
  5. I think there may be some confusion for some people as the PJFT required times are longer than the fitness test, and also the fitness test is not treadmill-based, making it significantly harder.

I'm personally having to do a lot of complicated training to boost my exterior speed, even though I finished with plenty time to spare on my PJFT.

Still, it is an effective way to sort the wheat from the chaff. With waiting times being so long, what else is there to do!
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd suggest new rules though, five loaded chambers and one empty, it would speed up the reductions
  7. What's the point? 8O I hate crabs..