Joining from another branch/Blowing off the Army

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Senseist, Nov 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all. I am new to this forum but I am a regular on Arrse.

I have been sitting in the recruitment process for the army for just over a year now and I finally got onto an insight course in order to get recommended for selection. However, after spending a week living at AC Bovington with a bunch of NCO's and having a chance to speak with some Soldiers/Marines posted there I learnt that being a crewman is only interesting for a couple of years as you do everything for the first time. Most of the blokes who had been serving for over 5 years looked so worn down and depressed.

My original plans during my early school years was to join the Royal Navy, but after a complication making it almost impossible for anyone in 6th form to get a job, half of us left and decided to either jump straight into full time employment or apply for the forces. Seeing the waiting list for the navy being around 3 years (and there being no navy staff at the careers office) I signed up for the RAC as a crewman.

Now I am faced with a dilemma: Stick with the army, get a spot in RTR, wait out the 4~5 years and use my experience to reapply for the Navy or begin an application for the Navy now and start looking for a full time position on civvy street to tide me over until I get called forward.

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What's the wait for RAC? And what was the complication if you stayed in education?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Funnily enough, I interviewed a former RTR Tanky Lance Corporal only last week. Served 6 years, worked on Vikings, thoroughly enjoyed it. Even Herrick 11. He's now trying something new, a bit more technical and joining as an ETWESM, hopefully in less than six months from test to entry. Obviously he enjoys the concept of working in metal boxes and isn't too fussed if they sink.

Waiting times have significantly reduced, so the world's your lobster really. Every job has its repeatative elements, menial aspects and downsides - when all's said & done it's a job that takes over your life, but it's not always a bag of laughs & if it was entertainment all the way, we'd charge an entry fee rather than pay a wage.

My tip? Sit the RN test, see what's available, compare & contrast. Good luck.

4. To be fair sounds like the navy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

The "average" matelot only serves around 6 years to be fair, but the contrast with regard the reasons for leaving can differ markedly. Squaddies, to my mind, are more likely in recent years to suffer combat fatigue, going by stats & that's possibly why they get jaded & want out. With the wind-down in Afghanistan that may well change.

Matelots on the other hand, usually have more issues with regard the tempo, duration and frequency of separation. Until working practices change the only alternative to retain, in my opinion, is offer more cash incentives to stay. When people join straight from education, without civilian work experience, they are more likely to be disaffected as they often fail to connect pay with work. Those that leave, feeling hard done by, are the group most likely to rejoin after sampling the civilian sector workplace with no previous or recent first hand experience.

The other factor for matelots wanting out is simply maturity - they may have family/partner commitments and pressures as they grow older and don't want the instability of unpredictable forward planning and unrelenting workloads and responsibilities. Most who fall into this category leave with the belief they can earn more for less as a civilian and in many cases, due to their accrued service experience, achieve just that, never to return.

6. It seems that the SWS branch has proved offering people at first £25k and then £50k to stay does not work.

7. Ninja_Stoker

SWS branch? Which branch do you mean, WS (SSM) or another?

8. ET WEs (and WE Officers) who are streamed to SWS. To the best of my knowledge it is a relatively 'closed' branch with little to no opportunity to move equipment type or career stream.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, gotcha, not one we hear of in recruiting. One can only assume if the money doesn't encourage retention and the job itself cannot be made more attractive, then they either offer bigger financial incentives rather than derisory sums or the service just has to accept a high, more costly turnover of personnel.

10. So I think I should throw my lot in with the RAC, see how much I enjoy the career and if after a few years I do become bored my skills should be easily transferable to the RN? I would have thought an army boy would have a little more trouble rejoining a different branch.

11. One of the problems with SWS, a bit like ET(MESM) is that you are in a watchbill permanently, alongside and at sea. Add in the fact you drafts will be either Faslane or Abbey Wood (or King's Bay for a lucky few), and you'll be unlikely to do anything but SWS, and you'll find a branch that may not be the most attractive. However, if you're a switched on WE Officer applicant, it also has one of the best chances of making Rear Admiral in the RN - from about 15 Lt RN sea-drafts they need to produce 1 Rear Admiral, not a ratio you'll find repeated elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The wait for RAC should only be a few months but I joined while the handover to the civilian recruitment agency was on so allot of us have been waiting for over a year. The complication with education was a change of management at the school i was hoping to attend 6th form at; the new managers made it a 5 days a week 9-5:30 timetable making it nearly impossible for people to get jobs on the side.

13. Its getting close to the point that can no longer be accepted.

14. Thay suggests that I was above average.

First time for everything eh?