Joining...Direct Entry questions?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by PRMee99, Nov 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alrite there lads, Ive been looking at joining the reserves for a while now and jus had a couple of questions!

I´ve been looking at direct entry, simply because I seem to have sufficient qualifcations (I went to Uni and have been in the London Met for about a year), however Im just wondering how thats viewed within the reserves. Is that seen as a bit of a cop out, would I benifit more from joinng as a rating etc.

Also does anyone have an experience of police in the reserves? Does it work out well time wise (ie. are both forces flexible enough) and is there any conflicts at all!

Thanks for any help guys, now and for in the past, its a really useful sit ouve got here! R
  2. If you are talking about DE as an Officer, then either route has merits.

Under the new DE scheme it is planned you will come in and join with the New Entry Class and carry out Initial Training with them; with the exception that you do not go to Raleigh.

Upon passing the Admiralty Interview Board, you join the Junior Officer Training package.

Police in the Reserves? I know a few at my Ship, and it is not a problem.

Hope this helps.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quite often, even those qualified for Officer join the RNR as Ratings first to gain sufficient insight prior to attending AIB.

With regard the Police, they are indeed very welcome however some Chief Constables strictly limit the amount of Police Officers that may join the reserves & often have waiting lists. (Some forces allow a maximum of only 2% to join).

Best of luck.
  4. There are a range of issues, but from a personal perspective I'm not keen on the DE route because I don't believe that RNR JOs get enough experience to be credible JOs when they're mobilised.

The other aspect to think about is why you want to be an officer. Bear in mind that you're unlikely to be in a position to mobilise for about 5 years, given the training pipeline, and the opportunities for mobilisation are fewer. There is an ongoing demand for force protection personnel, both afloat and ashore, at the junior rate level, similarly the opportunities for logs and CIS tend to be at JR level.