Joining Date

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Professor_X, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The CPO at the AFCO has offered a choice of 2 start dates of July or October, that I can be put forward for. (Didn't think I would get much choice in the matter to be honest!!)

Starting in July would mean I would get a 3 weeks leave during August, I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of either getting on with it asap but with a 3 week break half way through or waiting a little longer and getting Raleigh out of the way in one go.

Any wisdom from those who have had the break during the summer and those who have not as to how it effects your training, morale etc would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Any break during Basic Training is welcome; I had Xmas Leave during mine, and I don't think it affected me at all.

As for joining dates, the sooner you join up the sooner you'll be earning a wage! :lol:
  3. How the hell is it possible to have THREE weeks off during Raleigh?

Bloody hell I'm bringing my fitness test forward now so I can hopefully get a date for Raleigh where I'll get 3 weeks off in bloody august!

Are these paid for too?

If they are a paid 3 weeks, bang in the middle of august (Our only summer in this aqua filled isle) then it's a no-brainer for me! - Pick that date!

Plus you're training in the summer and not in the freezing cold winter!

Cmon mate, the answer is staring you in the face! :p
  4. I joined in July (many moons ago) but didn't get three weeks off !

Go for July and get paid for three weeks off ! Plus the weather will hopefully be good for you when you're down there.

Good luck whatever you choose.
  5. I joined in Jul 83, passed out 6 weeks later and then started my branch training after 3 weeks leave. The break was most welcome.
  6. I thought the Navy was getting easier apparently!

You lot had or are going to have 3 weeks off and I'll get Friday night, all Saturday and Sunday daytime off!

That's it! :p
  7. Having regrets already Credders?
  8. Not a chance!

I'm ready :twisted:
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh, if only you knew what you were letting yourself in for... 8O :wink:
  10. Finished on the Friday, bus to Collingwood on the Saturday (started joining routine etc), church on the Sunday (compulsory, in number ones) and started course on the Monday. :(
  11. Oh well even better!

I'm sure I'll be fine!

"WHERE'S RALEIGH? - LET ME AT IT NOW!!!" :twisted:
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As previously pointed out, phase one training increases to 9 weeks come September, if that helps you make your decision.
  13. Well I never knew that.

Why the change?

What else are they including in the training or are they just spending extra time on what's already there... drill, weapons, etc?
  14. I'd say join earlier and have the three weeks off in the middle. I know somebody who recently passed out from Raleigh just last week, he had two weeks off at Easter and there were definitely no complaints. Besdies the earlier you start, the earlier you finish.
  15. My bro in law joined last june - and had summer leave then had a week at raleigh before passing - said it was a night mare and wished he hadnt had leave........... so not sure - i joined in may so went right thru -- and imho it worked better!
  16. oh - may 1990 - so my own experience is`a bit out of the loop so to speak!
  17. Ninja_Stoker

You do have a point BH, the problem is if you haven't been in long & are still feeling a bit homesick (everyone does to a greater or lesser degree) it can be a bit difficult leaving your loved ones again after having such a good leave.

You have to steel yourself & remember that you'll always have good leaves & the RN/RM gives you the money to make it possible in the first place. You have to keep your fitness levels up too whilst you're on leave.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

An interesting question mate.

The official line is to ensure there is enough time to complete Basic Skills assessments.

Some, goodness knows who (not me Guv), may say that it's the re-introduction of New Entry week.

We still await the official announcement on this.
  19. what was/is the new entry week?
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ooh heck, opened a can of wriggly things here!

What used to happen, until fairly recently was your first week at Raleigh was more of an introduction to training, in separate accommodation,a bit like RNAC, spookily enough. Week two, you started training in earnest.

Funnily enough a lot of recruits felt it wasn't as strict as they had hoped at Raleigh! Nowadays, you go straight into training, day one. 'Cos you're all "nails" apparently.