Joining date change?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bwebb94, Oct 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I'm new to this sight so please bear with me

Ok I have finally received my joining date start of this month for ETWE to start in June, now I'm am so happy to finally have a date but it's so far away and I did my RT in august 2014 and was told it was a 12 month wait from RT to training but I suffered some delays, but 8 months from now seems a long time for a trade I was told was undermanned

So what I would like to know is there much chance of my joining date coming forward at all?

Thank you for any help

2. Sounds like your 'delays' put you in the processing slow lane but at least you now know where you stand. Christmas is round the corner and the months will fly by after that.

3. I guess so just caught me by surprise, thank you for taking time to reply

4. Change to submarines? They seem to have shorter waiting lists.

5. I know but I have my heart set on the surface fleet to I thinks it best I stick at it and just wait for it :)

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The frustration is appreciated but the waiting times are in a permanent state of flux unfortunately. Those who passed the recruit test the same day as you for the same branch, but without delays, will have been allocated ahead of you, as will those who passed the recruit test after you but without delay.

The waiting times are governed by the number of applicants and the number of training places for that branch.

For those applying as ET(WE) today, the wait is around 14 months test to entry. ET(WESM) is 6 months.

Interestingly, ET(WE) CIS is 4 months and when ratings in this branch reach Leading Rate, they complete exactly the same course and are equally as qualified as ET(WE) Leading Rates.

7. That is interesting Ninja. But after all the pre-joining requisites are complete can you still ask to jump to another branch and how would such a request be received by your AFCO ?

8. Ninja_Stoker

The job choice is yours, not your AFCOs.

Whilst I wouldn't encourage it as a hobby, you can change your job choice as often as you wish prior to joining. In fact, you are under no obligation whatsoever to join and even if you do, you are totally within your rights to jib it within the first six months - it says as much in your contract.

After you join, it is not so easy & "by the book" the current attestation form, which you "sign-on", still says you cannot change branches after joining. The reality maybe different but you should never join in the expectation of swapping jobs after joining.

It's a pain administratively, if I'm honest, but you are within your rights changing your job choice prior to entry.

Just be 100% certain you are not prioritising a quick fix over genuine job satisfaction. The jobs in the Naval service are very diverse and you'll be an administrative pain in the butt during your career if you are subsequently unhappy with your choice, if made in haste.

9. Hey ninja

Thank you for all this information and advice, only thing I'm confused on is the ETWE CIS I was told there mostly communication but with a little bit of weapons engineering, and it's the weapons engineering is what I'm interested in, is this not correct?

10. Some folk could be held back for a variety of reasons and you could be allocated an earlier date in their place , it does happen.

11. Ninja_Stoker

12. Thank ninja

I have read through that link and compared to my current choice and I will stick with ET WE as I most intrested in what they work on, just have to be patient and might get lucky with an earlier date :)

Thank you for the help

• Like Like x 1
  13. Agree with this, I've recently changed mate.

I'm pale as **** anyway, so am not missing anything by becoming a sundodger :D