Joining- criminal convictions, but no criminal record??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Richard88, Oct 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi guys, so i'm trying to join the navy just got the security clearance forms, when i was 12/13 i got a condisional discharge and 2 or 3 cautions for minor offences, i know there still on record as i have checked with the police force.

    I'm 20 now so its a good 7 or 8 years just trying to find out if this will stop or affect me joining the royal navy.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Don't know about the servces. With MoD civilians, as long as you declare the offences then you cannot be positively disciminated against. It only becomes an issue if you hide an offence then at a later date it is found you witheld information

    Like I said, don't know about the RN, I'd wait for one of the Career advisors to comment on RN policy.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    In terms of rehabilitation of offenders your conditional discharge and formal police cautions are termed as "spent", but must be declared on your security clearance form (MoD Form 1109), but not your rehabilitation of offenders form (MoD Form 493)

    What may affect you is the fact you are not able to remember whether you had two or three cautions, having checked the offences are on the police national computer, and whether the crimes are considered minor by those other than yourself. If they were offences against the person,then it would probably help if your previous indiscretions are regretted because you committed them rather than regretted because you were caught two or three times.

    That said, there's nothing to stop you applying- good luck.
  4. Well basicly one was playing on a building site and starting a machine and it started to drive as it was in gear.

    Then the second was being arrested and taken to court over having a toy gun, bit rediculous but at the end of the day it happened and i'm really hoping it doesnt stop my chances.

    i am going to call the data protection on monday to get a copy of the crimes so i know the exact dates.

    just wondering if any one else has had problems with simular or even diffrent crimes, i tried to call the afco office today but they dont work on a saturday so im told, so monday will be the earlyest i'm just worried it will affect my chances
  5. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    So far you appear to have recounted two out of a possible four offences. You can simply ask the police for a PNC print out to get a record of your offences. The ones you mention appear to be spent, so it's unlikely they will cause a significant problem unless you used the toy gun to hold-up a sweet shop.
  6. Nope no hold ups here, well i belive there the only two ill be getting that print out on monday, next problem is i didnt put it on my afco 5 form due to me thinking juvinile cases wouldnt be an issue, is this going to be a problem? going to ring my afco come monday so let them know asap

  7. yes definately declare them mate, if u dont it'll look like ur trying to hide it when it comes to ur security clearance. Then u will seem untrustworthy so ring them asap and get it ammended.

    Explain to them the exact circumstances and leave no stone unturned, even though you may not want to tell everyone its so important that they know everything about you so that they can advise and support you during the process.

    I came across some hurdles along the way and my AFCO advisor was awesome....

    Good luck with the application
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Mind if I frame that?
  9. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    So you are taking some of the blame for how he has turned out then??
  10. feel free.... u lot deserve a medal
  11. Thanks for the replys, much appriciated.

    I'm going to call afco tomorrow to inform them but i'm finding it hard to findout what i was charged for in order to get a condisional discharge and caution i know what i did just dont know the charge.

    Been looking up pnc printouts and it seems the criminal records bureau will only provide checks for employers and agents and not for the individual, any tips on obtaining this information?

    Thought about asking my solicitor but it seems he doesnt exist anymore so thats not much use

    Thanks in advance

  12. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    The Criminal Records Bureau charge employers to run checks on potential employees.

    Again- go to your local police station, with a means of identity & request a PNC print-out on your criminal record- it's yours & you are entitled to a copy.
  13. Ok thats great i'll get that sorted tomorrow.

    Thank you for your help its much appreciated

  14. Ah, to have sincerely held convictions grounded in reason, politics or faith are sure foundations. On the record front, I suggest you collect vinyl, as they sound better than criminal records, and the potential for spin is greater..... ;) :slow:

Share This Page