Joining back up as an officer.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by robs25, May 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening all,

I served 5 years on submarines leaving the RN in 2009 on good terms. I am currently working as a Police officer but strongly considering joining back up but as a Warfare officer, Submarines. I worked as a rating in the warfare branch and feel I have the life experience at 33 to serve well as an officer. Can you advise if there is any way I can go about enlisting as an officer at 33 as the website says 17-26. It is worth pointing out that while serving my Divisional Officer was pushing for me to get my papers raised but I stupidly never pursued it as my wife was expecting a child.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

2. Get yourself up the careers office. There's all sorts of stuff going on with regard to shortages. Best get it from the horse's mouth.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ello, ello, ello. Evenin' all, 'constible'.

Hmmn, knocking-on 33 in a 26 zone, eh? Whilst you may be strongly considering it, you are are even more strongly ineligible at first glance, unfortunately.

In short - no....but, you can apply to rejoin as a rating and if educationally qualified & deemed viable, apply for Officer from within the service after joining. You may well have the life experience that makes you eminently suitable to be put forward for AIB but the RN would probably want a "test drive" before giving you a shot.

Snags? You may well be invited to undergo ratings basic training again and have to undergo branch training first.

Advice - expect the worst, hope for the best.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frankly, and I'm being polite, do you want to be a 40 year old subbie?

5. It's not that bad... as a reservist, anyway. Probably depends hugely on where you're working and who with...

6. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Every meal's a feast, every pay cheque a bounty. Go for it!!!!

7. He didn't say he wanted to join the reserves.

8. Every days an adventure ,every meal a banquet, every pay cheque a bonus!

Finished with main motors and steering

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Or, in the NCS: Every day's an invention, every meal you buy yourself and every pay cheque smaller than the guy who joined after you.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You misheard the Resettlement Officer. How disappointed you must have been to find out you'd never get to flirt with Ziva and have Gibbs as your boss.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ninja_Stoker

It's heartening to know others sympathise, or know where the word is located. :thumleft:

12. It's not just in the mob that there are shortages, I saw an advert for direct entry as a Superintendent into the Met!!!

Apparently there are other forces doing the same too.

However, I would say that I am hearing stories of lead times of up to two years for getting into BRNC on Direct Entry, so Ninja's suggestion of re-enlistment as a rating, then putting in your papers may be a wiser move.

You said that you were Warfare Branch: what's the current age limit on Upper Yardmen entry?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. UY - 26 (I think). SUY - 40ish (I think), but must be a SR (or at least selected as a SR) to be extracted. At your career will likely top out at Lt Cdr, if not Lt RN.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

RFA are recruiting commercial marine engineer officers with unlimited Chief Engineer tickets
    ( I linked elsewhere) direct entry at First Officer ( 2 1/2 ). Candidates could be 30 - 60 ( my estimate ) .

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

The RFA is definitely a good shout.

If I'm completely honest, I've been thinking about it myself. (exJ needs a stalker, I hear ;-P)

• Like Like x 2
  16. People do get age waivers though - I joined BRNC as a UY aged 33.

17. There are some 40 plus subbie wafu and stoker engineers knocking round at the min , obviously not like the two divs 30 year old SUYs at BRNC...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Indeed, and they'll be the thick end of 40 before being considered for Lt Cdr RN. I know more than a few SUYs who quickly became disillusioned at being a Lt RN and moving to shore side jobs, and quite quickly put their notice in.

By all means go for it, but at the end of the day, life as a Junior Officer means you are a Junior Officer - there is relatively little scope for avoiding the shit jobs just because you're older.

19. Blimy ATG your a right run a shore morale bosun... I was merely trying to highlight that people from a higher age range have made the leap/fall and the intakes are getting larger (40 a year for 2014 on average) I don't believe it's the JO thing, but a branch thing...

Stand by, Stand by, Execute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Are you on the turn?